Recipe for the Ice Cubes


Advertisement
Africa » Tanzania » East
June 11th 2014
Published: September 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Life is a ridiculous riddle, innit? I’m just trying to learn the meaning without bursting into a spontaneous Monty Python skit. My trip through Africa has been leading up to this very moment...an opportunity to volunteer and give back as modest thanks for my fantastic adventure so far. While the rest of my group climb Kilimanjaro, I have chosen to spend ten days with a non-profit organization t... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Amani houseAmani house
Amani house

Bunk bed dorms for all the boys.
Old house meets new houseOld house meets new house
Old house meets new house

Everything was so wet and muddy as we walked around the villages clinging to the hillsides.
Jungle flowersJungle flowers
Jungle flowers

plenty of beauty at our homestay in Kilimanjaro
Boys will be boysBoys will be boys
Boys will be boys

Lots of things to keep them busy, but the TV wins every time.
 Coach Portugoose Coach Portugoose
Coach Portugoose

Not sure who is teaching who. These boys loved their footy
Amani KitchenAmani Kitchen
Amani Kitchen

None of the mamas wanted their picture taken so my photos are boring. Picture huge vats of stews and chipas being cooked here.
Amani HouseAmani House
Amani House

The courtyard was large enough for kids to play and hang out.



30th September 2014

awesomeness
As always your transportative write up is worthy of mass publication. Thank you for the momentary reprieve from my Routine...travel is such a shit-show of highs and lows and you capture them all beautifully.
30th September 2014

Definately a shit show of ups and downs!
Glad to be of service Alisa! lol. I know I spend lots of time reading other TB blogs and dreaming of where to go to next.
30th September 2014

This is Africa
Wonderful blog Andrea of life on the road in Tanzania. I can feel the adrenalin in your words, whether they be of muddy roads, the plight of street children, the power of touts, scams, traffic, mountains, Usambara, Amani shelter, Kili, Dar, and the ferry to Zanzibar that can wrench your guts. All told you are discovering the Africa that is there to experience but is often a more sanitary experience when viewed from a safari truck. The only way to truly experience is to meet the locals and it seems you have the good fortune to have a taste of that. Seems that Africa is now in your blood...and if you are anything like me that will be a life changing experience. I am so happy for you. When you get home get into TBs World Blues Music and Song of the Week World Beats threads on the World Music Forum to embrace the African music experience to ensure your memories never leave you.
2nd October 2014

Thank you Dancing Dave! I sometimes worry about telling my story as it unfolds because I don't want to come off like I didn't enjoy every second...I did! Even the Dar experience was, well an experience. Travel can go bad fast, but it can also be sooooo good! I love doing homestays and even though I'm on a truck, I'm still getting lots of interaction and intimate experiences with Africa! This has been awesome!
2nd October 2014

Hope Zanzibar Makes Up For the First Bit
We spent just an afternoon at Amani. A high point of our trip through Africa, although very sad in parts. We missed out on the excitement in Dar. Perhaps there have been other trucks that have paid up inthe past. Not good for anyone. That boat trip was only rocky for us one way but the locals told us that it can often be rough. A good reason for staying on in Zanzibar which was pretty special. Enjoy the rest. There are some very good places in Tanzania that you might get to and, hopefully, you have a visit with the San to look forward to.
2nd October 2014

What a great country!
Wonderful that you made it to Amani! I really loved my experience with the children but it was also an eye opener. Oh and, did Zanzibar ever make up for it!!! Loved my little beach holiday there. Wow what a fantastic island. Not to say that I didn't enjoy all my experiences in Tanzania, good or bad, were fantastic. Yes, we also wondered if the fake accident had been done before in Dar. They seemed pretty good at it. Cheers!
2nd October 2014
Boy George my Kharma Chameleon

Kharma Chameleon
Nice play on words. I'm sure Boy George would be proud.
10th October 2014
Boy George my Kharma Chameleon

Poor little guy tried everything in his power to turn black. He had been neon green...so he gets points for effort.
2nd October 2014

Getting in touch with the world
You always plan marvelous adventures and we are thankful you enjoy giving back. The world needs more people like you. Somehow you can make the barf bag sound fun and exotic. You do have a way with the pen! $12 upgrades, traffic jams, and your vehicle being rushed by crowds.... so much chaos and so little time. I'm always amazed at the varying reactions when tense situations arise. Glad the outcome was tolerable. Keep on traveling off the beaten path. Love following your adventures.

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 26; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb