Our first self-drive game drive


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Saadani National Park
December 21st 2008
Published: May 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

The next morning we were up before dusk to go on our first self-drive game drive. I had asked our driver to the boat safari the evening before, where it’s best to go and with a map and corresponding numbers on all crossroads in the park it wasn’t difficult to find our way. We were surprisingly good at spotting the animals as well and I managed to juggle between steering wheel and photo camera. I absolutely loved it, we were the only car around, so we had the park all to ourselves. We didn’t spot any lions, but it was much better than the dala-dala ride through Mikumi during our language training. After a couple of hours we headed back to the village, there was another hut that was serving breakfast, which consisted of very sweet tea and tasty chapatis, the Tanzanian breakfast type, which is quite different to the Indian version, more greasy.
From here we headed straight back to the park gate, so that we didn’t overstay our 24 hour entry. My original plan had been to leave the park Southwards, cross the river and drive on to Bagamoyo. There was only the slight problem, that this bridge had collapsed a few years back and not been restored, so we had to leave the way we came and make a big U land inwards and then back to the coast again to Bagamoyo. But the road that left of the main road to Bagamoyo was in an awful state, pot hole after pot hole, the guys in the back were not happy. So these 70km seemed to last forever…
We made there in the end and had a late lunch at the Millenium Hotel, which was okay. Afterwards we strolled along the beach to the centre, accompanied by some very annoying hasslers, that were hard to get rid off. It’s a nice sleepy town with some lovely German colonial architecture, but most of it is sadly crumbling apart. I especially took heart to the Boma, sort of city hall building - would be great to renovate as a boutique hotel. From here it was back to Dar, fast track on a wide tarmac road.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

BreakfastBreakfast
Breakfast

Rita, Sandra, Kevin
Breakfast 2Breakfast 2
Breakfast 2

Sandra and kids
Kevin and me trying our first ever JackfruitKevin and me trying our first ever Jackfruit
Kevin and me trying our first ever Jackfruit

Smells like shit and tastes weird, not my new favourite fruit...


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0541s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb