Our first day in Morogoro


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Morogoro
October 5th 2008
Published: December 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

When we arrived the previous night it was so dark, that we couldn’t really get an idea of the landscape. But when I woke up just after sunrise at about 6am - Not having been much of a morning person back home in the UK, I strangely enough seem to become an early bird out here! - I saw this beautiful mountain range just outside our bedroom window: with striking colours due to the red soil in this region.
Breakfast was served by an overly chirpy nun with the cassette player on full blast some church choir whaling away - stale white toast, instant coffee (I normally hate instant, but Africafe is drinkable and not Nestle owned!) and the worst jam I ever came across: ‘Simba’ (Lion in Swahili, as most people know since Disney’s Lion King). It has a cute little cartoon lion on the label as well - but is just bright red coloured jelly sugar - disgusting!
The language lessons weren’t to commence until an introduction session in the evening, so the plan was to go for a hike in the mountains in the morning and a waling tour through town in the afternoon. The mountains were absolutely beautiful, we passed a nice little village with lovely children and saw some monkeys swinging through the trees on our way back (didn’t catch them on camera so).
Then it was lunch, which was quite similar to the dinner the day before - rice, chips, the soupy tomato sauce, lots of meat and a tiny bit of boiled cabbage. Hungry from the hike and the limited breakfast, we tugged in.
Then Benjy showed us round town - a couple of internet cafes, the main road and big and bustling market. It has a nice feel to it, a welcome change after the traffic jams and city buzz of Dar. I checked out quite a few of the little food shops, there were lots of them. But they all seemed to sell the same products. So finding some different
jam proofed actually quite a challenge! I didn’t want to have to start the day with this awful glibber for the next 2 weeks….
For dinner it was rice, roast potatoes (note the difference!), soupy tomato sauce, lots of meat and a small amount of spinach.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb