Autumn in TZ


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Lushoto
March 28th 2009
Published: March 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dear Springtime blog readers, Here is your first autumn blog. In our Life Skilss-Health club we had 120 students packed into one classroom. That made our small group activity on decision making have 30 in it...small group? But, the kids are eager and want to be there,so how can we turn them away? One more note of local interest, today as we were waiting for a long-overdue bus, the entire student body of Mtumbi Secondary School passed by in clusters of green uniforms. They all 500PLUS SAID "GOOD MORNING, SIR...GOOD MORNING, MADAM." and the closest ones shook our hands and then the teachers brought up the rear. The headmaster was on his pikipiki. They were going to the lumber mill. After about an hour all returned each carrying lunber 2x4x20' some girls used their heads, some had shoulder carry, and one group of 6 joined together to make it easier. The girls all seem very adept at hauling long distances. It is a 45 min walk each way, but it was Friday and this is how they contribute to the builing of the new classrooms. We are sure these are the roof beams for the tin roof. I so wished we had our camera with us.
I know I've spent much blog time on the perils of public transportation so in all fairness,I must tell of this morning's early daladala ride. It was the first (and maybe the last), but it was quite nice by the usual standards. It wasn't overcrowed; we had a seat. That was a blessing as we were carrying Randee's B-day cake on our laps. It was slower as the driver was taking his time after yesterday's downpour. Ever since we've been here they've been working on the dirt main road, not to pave, but to improve drainage and smooth out the bumps and potholes whch occur annually. But, it was OK and we didn't have SRO until just outside Lushoto. I'm sure the prayers helped. After the rain the smells of the morning mist were delightful as were the mist covered mountains. We haven't opened the cake box (a used book box as we have plenty) but I'm sure the density of the chocolate cake held each crumb in place.
So, we'll to the Lushoto Dash doing our bimonthly business: posta, banki, interneti, lunchi, and look forward to an afternoon adladala to Randee and John's, PCVs who teach at a private girls secondary school where we did some teacher training on HIV/AIDS a month ago. We are well, happy, and imparting an important message. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers. love, Dave & Wendy

Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0737s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb