Hotel hopping!


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
August 14th 2006
Published: August 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello all!

We arrived safely in Dar es Salaam after a 7 hour bus ride. It was great, like a plane on wheels. The guy served us cookies and coke (in the old-school glass bottles, with straw!), and we were able to stop for lunch in this great place that had beef kabobs for only 200 ts a piece. That's about 20 cents. We had a decent night in a BUDGET hotel, and we've just moved our bags to the next hotel which will store them while we visit Zanzibar for 4 days. It's a relief not to have to carry all my climbing gear and extra stuff all over the place. We have burned some photo cds, and I'm hoping to upload some of those when we get to Zanzibar. Internet places are plentiful, but not always able to read camera cards. We are going to catch a fast ferry to Zanzibar very soon, and I look forward to being near the beach. =)

We brought beer with us, but apparently it is forbidden to drink it in the hotel. We aren't sure if this is because of general rowdiness, or because Dar is predominantly Mulsim. The beer we have been drinking are all local brews like 'Kilimanjaro,' 'Serengeti,' 'Safari,' 'Tuskor (elephant).' I prefer 'Serengeti, but if you want bang for your buck, go for Safari. =) Beers here are about twice the size of those from home, and are generally between $1.50-2.00.

We are looking forward to exploring Stone Town, and going on a tour of the spice plantations. Hope all is well at home and I look forward to catching up with as many of you in person as possible! =)

Hugs and Love,

Jen, Paul, Laura, and Vaughn

Advertisement



14th August 2006

What an amazing adventure you all are having! And, from your description of the bus ride, I can foresee a future Coke commercial! Can't wait to see the pictures!
14th August 2006

So this is how you add a comment
Hi, Jen, What adventures. I dare say, you have a good crew along, eh? It's nice to follow your adventures and we hope to see you soon either here, in Seattle or in Killarney. Say hi to the crew! GG
14th August 2006

Sounds more like bar hopping
So world travler- I see you come almost full circle in your adventure with beer in toe. I can't wait to see the pictures from this exicitng trip. I still think you should write a book. LOL!! My mom says hi and hope you are well. Hugs stacy

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb