Somewhere en route between the West and East Africa


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
December 12th 2011
Published: January 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

12 December 2011

Heartbreaking goodbye at JFK Sunday morning. Nicholas was sobbing as I walked into the security area. It affected me in a manner I was not expecting. These last three months with him have been incredible.

Window seat, and the plane ended up being full – when I checked in online on Saturday there was no one next, in front or behind me… this morning, all seats were filled.

Settled in, took a nap, red, watched movies, catnapped some more. Twelve plus hours go by rather quick when you’re having fun.

Dawn came out of nowhere, somewhere over the Arab peninsula. Cloudy, foggy. Following the Tigris river, something about the cradle of civilization. Oil fires can be seen from 35,000 feet. At least that is what I think they are.

Catching up on some old papers and manuals. Traffic, monitoring, rules of engagement and so on.

Dawn over the desert, couldn’t quite the angle with the big lens on the cannon, but the droid came through.

Could not see much of Dubai as we landed, foggy morning. Lots of traffic on the highways though, it is a Monday after all. Airport is quite large as expected, glass everywhere but it could use a bit more of A/C… man, are we spoiled!

Airport… its like walking into the Beijing airport, light, airy.. then you get to the main concourse… its Heathrow! Commerce! Too bad most will be closed on they return layover (2am)… could do some damage that I can’t afford! JAJAJA

Finally got to power up again and take a few minutes to write thoughts down. Flight to Dar… Chinese, Indians, westerners, Filipinos, locals. Its NY!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb