Beach and Work


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
March 8th 2006
Published: March 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

just a normally day...work, teaching, playing, eating ugahil, back here. felt it was time to check the email again. so much for rochester and michigan state (and big time sports). stony brook is starting to take the lead i think. hot day again today. its been raining/cloudy for the past few days. raining means a downpour for maybe an hour then cloudy for the rest of the day. just enough to make the roads muddy. yea, i ran out of time on the IMer on saturday. the seconds just ticked away.

now i'm planning on going on safari this weekend until tuesday or wednesday. figure i have to do it sometime while i am here. see all the cool animals. the reason that i am going now is that the three swedish people are going and invited me to go along with them. they are very nice and i'm thinking they will be the best people to go with. we will take a bus up to arusha (in the northish part of the country). after you get there, the safari people attack you trying to get you to go on their safari. i heard its around $75 a day for everything. so i wont be online this weekend. but should be having fun. i'll check my email again friday (although friday is starting to look busy too--one of the guys from work invited me over for an afternoon meal). so thats the plan for now.

the new danish volunteers start working at the same place that i am tomorrow. lots and lots of people there. dont know if there is enough for 4 people to do (i guess the people that "work there could do even less), but we shall see. tomorrow should be an interesting day.

went to the beach again on sunday. little cloudy but still warm and nice beach weather. not to many people there again and not too hard to get there. went to the movies last night. saw "memoirs of geisha" (or whatever its is called). must have been all the white people in the city at the movie theater. 4,000 shillings for the movie. all in all, less than $10, for a bus ride there, the movie, a coke, a beer after the movie, and a taxi ride home.

also yesterday, eric (the swedish male) came with me to work. i invited him because he doesnt do anything until his girlfriend gets home from following nurses around and visiting villages. we tried to teach the kids basketball. we had to modify the rules because the ball (lacking air and a hard surface) didnt bounce. so we just had them pass it then try and score. it was fun to watch. didnt seem quite as popular as soccer. the ngo managed to find money for two students to attend school so we went to the school, then to the local goverment office, then to the central goverment office, then back to the local goverment office, then back to the school. about 3.5 hours because one signature was missing.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0341s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb