The HOT Seat


Advertisement
Tanzania's flag
Africa » Tanzania » East » Dar es Salaam
February 7th 2006
Published: February 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The dala dalaThe dala dalaThe dala dala

Here the "dala dala' is waiting for people to jump in. Sometimes you literally have to jump in. Ususally though that's only for the boys.
Today I literally got the “hot seat”. It’s just a hump actually, that sticks out behind the front seat of the Dala Dala. I don’t know how the kids do it. It’s where they usually have to sit when adults need a seat on the bus. Today, I sat there because the other option was---Me standing or truthfully bending, (‘cause you gotta be under 5’4” to stand upright in there) on the entire ride to Muhimbili on a dirt road that made New Orleans potholes look like smoorth sailing. The bus was jammed pack. It have seats for 15 but there were 21 people already in and they were stopping to pick up more.

This is the primary mode of public transportation around Dar. Unfortunately , since they run the streets, they make the rules. If the streets are full, as the are at rush hour, many buses often ride along the sidewalk. If you happen to be walking, just jumped back, ‘cause they won’t stop for you unless you’re bigger. Just last night I was nearly hit by one, but jumped back just in time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

In front of the YWCA at Posta In DarIn front of the YWCA at Posta In Dar
In front of the YWCA at Posta In Dar

The streets busy with 'Dala dala's'


10th February 2006

Rule of the road
They won't move, stop, of budge unless you are bigger is also one of the few rules of the road I have figured out in China.
11th February 2006

Be careful
Working at the hospital, I've seen all kinds injuried by these buses. Men, women, young and old have come through with various injuries from abrasions to amputations. So WALK defensely. You have to make it back home too!

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0613s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb