Pyramids of Meroe


Advertisement
Sudan's flag
Africa » Sudan
January 22nd 2008
Published: January 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Pyramids at MeroePyramids at MeroePyramids at Meroe

Beautiful site at sunset.
We arrived at the pyramids at Meroe at sunset and drove behind a nearby dune to set up camp. Practically before the truck came to a stop, we abandoned our truck jobs (Kathie was meant to cook and I was to throw tents off the roof) and raced to the site to get photos of the pyramids in the light of the setting sun.

The next morning we paid to enter the site and explored the pyramids whilst getting blasted by sand as it was a very windy and overcast morning (so glad we got the sunset pictures). Again, there was minimal tourists (only one other group of people) but for some reason the vendors selling camel rides forgot to read the guide book. The book clearly states that there won't be anyone flogging camel rides, oops. They were very persistant but were much nicer about it than in Egypt and you could actually take their picture without them demanding Bakshesh. ;-)



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Man on a missionMan on a mission
Man on a mission

Need photos before sunset...
Windy dayWindy day
Windy day

We were sandblasted as we explored the pyramids in the morning.
You want camel ride?You want camel ride?
You want camel ride?

Too many camels, not enough tourists.


21st June 2008

Wow!
These pictures are great! What an amazing place! Now this is the 'ancient monuments lost in the desert' that I was hoping for and didn't get in Cairo!
22nd October 2009

cool pics
these pics are so cool you are lucky to go.

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb