Book reports...


Advertisement
South Sudan's flag
Africa » South Sudan
September 3rd 2007
Published: September 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our patrol to investigate the reported massacre of 50 people never got off the ground. It was stopped at political levels that are much higher than my pay grade. However, the direct intervention by local politics in an effort to dissuade/stop our patrol to this destination raised more than a few eyebrows and suspicions. The UN Mission in Sudan is here at the invitation of the parties, both North and South, sometimes it confuses me that individuals within that framework would seek to have us stop us performing our duties.... interesting.

I have finished two books while I am here, Emma's War and A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Child Soldier.

Both are books that I cannot reccommend enough, as they provide insight into the complexity and chaos of conflict in Africa. Emma's War deals directly with Sudan, and the 21 year civil war that was fought between the SPLA (south) and SAF (north). There are so many facets to this conflict it is still hard to wrap your head around how a person could balance all of these at once. Loyalties to political, idealogical, tribal, ethnic, regional, and monetary obligations abound throughout the whole war. Shifting alliances, infighting, coup attempts... the list goes on. I highly reccommend it for a "big picture" overview of the war. The book follows the life of Emma McCune, a Brit aid worker who ends up marrying Riek Machar, a senior commander in the SPLA. (Machar is now Vice-President of Southern Sudan.) It clearly demonstrates how different life in Africa really is in comparison to how the West thinks it is; how your perceptions and allegiances change and develop, no matter how strong your original "Western" beliefs are. It also identifies some very challenging situations that Aid Relief encountered here.

"A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" by Ishmael Beah, is an autobiography following Ishmael through the civil war that ripped through Sierra Leone in the mid 90's to 200? The situation in Sierra Leone still remains unsable, and last week we received a UN travel advisory against travel to Sierra Leone due to instability. Ishmael was seperated at 12 or 13 years old from his family during an attack on their village, and never saw them again. He fled through the jungle for weeks, being chased by many people because children were not trusted anymore, due to the employment of child soldiers by the rebel group, the RUF. Eventually, Ishmael starts service at the age of 13/14 with government forces; this being the only option for survival. It was either fight for the army, or be expelled out into the jungle. When they began training, most boys were having trouble lifting an AK-47 let along carry or shoot it. Eventually, heavily under the influnce of cocaine and methamphetamines (including"brown-brown" a mixture of cocaine and gunpowder that was snorted), the boys learned to fight and kill without remorse. They hungered for it, and in their spare time all they did was speak of killings they had committed, watch violent moveis, and consume drugs. All before the age of 15. Ishmael was given over to a UN rehabilitation program for child soldiers, and it took him more than six months of daily therapy and education to begin to live a normal life again. This book is a very quick read, and I found it to be a tremendous eye opener.

Life here is still pretty much the same. I'm trying to focus more on my fitness now that we have a gym, but running is my real weak spot.

Laura and I are planning a trip to Kenya in late September, and I am more than a little excited about that. We are hoping to go on a safari, and jsut have a relaxing time. My vacation home to Canada last month was great, but it was very busy and not so relaxing...

Last night I cooked up a batch of thai chicken curry (Thanks Laura-xo) and some papadams, which turned out quite well considering that all the ingredients were canned. Thiers and Sandro from Brazil, Duane from Australia, and Yannick and I all enjoyed a great meal thanks to your care packages. I also had my first cup of Tim Hortons coffee... aaaaahhhhhh. THANK YOU ALL!

Anyhow, that is it for now, life was pretty mudane this week... take it easy.

Don



Advertisement



3rd September 2007

Memoirs of a boy soldier
I also can't recommend Ishmael's book enough. I saw him speak at the Port Theatre and he was amazing. I hope you are taking good care of yourself Don!!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb