OVERVIEW OF JUBA


Advertisement
South Sudan's flag
Africa » South Sudan » Juba
October 21st 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

JUBA the capital of southern Sudan is a good 728 km from Kampala, however the buzz around town makes you feel like you at home; with almost every consume-able commodity bearing the label “made in Uganda”. However the only disappointment is the exorbitant price charged by the traders - almost five times the rate of your average shop back home! Research carried out reveals that Southern Sudan is amongst the most expensive regions/countries to live in; (imagine paying 700 Ug shs to photocopy a paged document!, services that cost 100 shs back in Uganda) . Whilst in their defense they claim that S. Sudan being a landlocked region, procures all goods like foods, construction materials, office stationery, electronics etc from Uganda or Kenya, and future more traders have to incur high transportation cost and double taxations regimes along the way.
The currency of preference is US dollars, however the Sudanese pound and Ugandan shilling are free used and exchanged on the open market. Although major Banks like KCB and EQUITY Bank have widespread coverage throughout S. Sudan, it’s advisable to cross check with your bank before transferring any money as the chances are, you may not access it or it may take forever.
As for the general life in juba town it’s basically dull during weekends because you will need a fat wallet to explore the few happening places, whilst the issue of public transportation back home after 10pm is a gamble. (“boda bodas” charge heavily!). On a positive note most of the roads in town have been tarmac-ed; while work on the main road to Nimule (Sudan-Uganda border) a distance of 289 km is in initial stages. My high school geography teacher taught me (back then) that Sudan lies along the semi desert belt; however that didn’t prepare me for the extreme climate, with average temperature hovering around 47 degrees (hot enough to boil an egg on mabati sheets!). Literally blankets are useless to carry along since you will never use it.
On the 9th Jan 2011, Southern Sudan voters will go to the poll to decide on whether to remain part of the Unity government of Sudan or secede and start a new country under independent rule. Tensions remain high in the region as many people are uncertain about the future of the new state. The major contentious issue revolves around the positioning of the oil rich Abyei region that borders the south and northern part of the country; both the Northern Sudan and Southern Sudan governments claim the region is within their boundaries.
Currently southern Sudan a region bigger (land mass size) than East Africa is being served by the Mombasa - Kampala - Gulu route, and its hoped that the new Country will continue procuring their goods and labour force from the EAC block, however effort needs to be stepped by the government of Southern Sudan to stimulate economic recovery and encourage the citizens to embark on nation building. Its estimated that over 82% of the active workforce in southern Sudan (all industries) comprises of foreign personnel (Ugandans, Kenyans, Ethiopians and Europeans), with the indigenous citizens are resigned to the civil service and armed forces jobs.
Juba is a city of contrast, with every vehicle on the road is a high spec four wheel-drive Toyota or American model fuel guzzler, its amazing to find a 50,000$ vehicle parked in front of a mud-hut structure; while on the downside the city can be described as a “generator powered town”, Yes! No state-run power supply, so buy your own generator; (imagine the noise 700+ generators make!). you can survive without electricity, but imagine a city without state controlled water supply (things like NWSC or UEB don’t exist here!) just buy water from the mobile water tankers roaming round town; by the way its collected direct from the river Nile - without treatment. High rates of water borne diseases like typhoid, hookworm diarrhea etc are registered every day in the few medical facilities around town, so beware; “carry your own medication and water purifying tabs”
A lot can be said about the poor services and lack of social amenities all over the region; my major bone to pick with the people is the tendency to stick to social norms and cultures that reflect Arabic influence, (a result of the 50 year old war between the south and north) Like mature people sitting outside makeshift coffee kiosk drinking tea out of spirit/rum tot glasses! “mbu” its revitalizing!, or the widespread spitting in public (in Europe its illegal!), or the charging of 130 pounds/130,000/= for a three month visa for foreign nationalities, yet neighboring countries that looked after their refugees during the war era don’t charge them a coin for moving through East Africa.
Well, as the saying goes “when in Rome do as the Romans do” many people just ignore most of the minor inconvenience and security issues that are missing while going about with their lives.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb