Such a Special Sighting


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
January 28th 2013
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Young One01 Young One01 Young One

A young Blue Wildebeest.
Geo: -25.2174, 27.0071

This morning we went for our last game drive. We drove along the main road towards Bakgatla gate. On the way we saw blue wildebeest and zebra – both these species had many young ones in their herds. There were also springbok and waterbuck by the dam.

At the Pilanesberg Centre we stopped just to see if there were any animals drinking at the small pan or licking the salt. Here we saw some zebras drinking water. We didn't see anything for the next twenty minutes and we were nearly at the gate where we were going to turn around and head the other direction. Around a corner we had to stop as there were two cars on the road. They had stopped to watch wild dogs!

This was the first time that either of us has seen wild dogs in this park. We were very lucky to see them as there is only one pack and it is a very large park. It was a pack of eleven.

We were less than a kilometre away from the Bakgatla Gate. The dogs were very active - standing with their ears pricked up, listening in various directions. It was exciting
02 Pair02 Pair02 Pair

A pair of young Blue Wildebeest.
– what would happen next? One of the dogs then started to run down a gravelled side road, the rest of the pack followed and so did we. Some of the dogs then went off the road and into the long grass, the rest of the pack stopped running. We stopped the car and waited to see what the alpha dog would decide to do next.

A minute or so later the dogs came out of the grass and the rest of the dogs followed them back to the main road. We turned around and continued to follow them. Back on the main road the dogs stopped again and most of them drank water from a large puddle. Then they continued running along the road towards the gate. Unfortunately a few minutes later the pack ran off the road into the grass and we lost sight of them.

We turned around and drove towards the Kwa Maritane Gate. On the way there we saw a mother and calf white rhino, a dazzle of zebra, a journey of giraffe, the back end of a couple of elephants, waterbuck by the dam, kudus and hippos floating in the dam.

Most of the
03 Motherly Love03 Motherly Love03 Motherly Love

A mother zebra and her baby.
drive to Kwa Maritane was very quiet. Just before leaving the park we went to Kwa Maritane Lodge for a drink. Here we enjoyed a milkshake as we looked out at the park. Two hours later we were back in Madikwe Game Reserve.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

04 Blue Wildebeest04 Blue Wildebeest
04 Blue Wildebeest

An adult Blue Wildebeest.
05 Eating05 Eating
05 Eating

A couple of springbok eating grass.
06 Waterbuck06 Waterbuck
06 Waterbuck

A mother waterbuck and her young one.
07 Zebra07 Zebra
07 Zebra

Mother zebras and their young.
08 Drinking08 Drinking
08 Drinking

The zebras are drinking water from the waterhole.
10 Looking Lost10 Looking Lost
10 Looking Lost

This young zebra seems lost.
11 Wild Dogs11 Wild Dogs
11 Wild Dogs

Then we came across the pack of wild dogs!
13 Wild Dog13 Wild Dog
13 Wild Dog

One of the wild dogs.
14 Big Ears14 Big Ears
14 Big Ears

The Wild Dogs have very big ears.
16 The Pack16 The Pack
16 The Pack

Part of the part, still standing around.
17 Running17 Running
17 Running

Finally, a decision has been made and they are off.
18 Greeting18 Greeting
18 Greeting

The dogs are greeting the dog that they have been reunited with.
19 Leader19 Leader
19 Leader

The wild dogs are following their leader.
21 Into the Grass21 Into the Grass
21 Into the Grass

The pack has started to walk off into the grass.
22 Playing22 Playing
22 Playing

These last two dogs seem to be playing with each other.
23 Playing23 Playing
23 Playing

These dogs are chasing each other.
25 Playful25 Playful
25 Playful

The dogs playfully biting each other.
27 Last VIew27 Last VIew
27 Last VIew

This is our last view of the dogs as the walked off into the bush.


Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb