Where east meets west


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
September 18th 2014
Published: September 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Merging watersMerging watersMerging waters

Bone chilling winds and crashing waves at South Africa's southern most point, Agulhas.
Blustery, cold, windy, wet, cloudy, unexpected! What to do when weather refuses to cooperate with travel plans? Head into it I say- we are sent wind and water, we go in search of more- to the end of the continent where the eastern waters meet the western, Indian meets Atlantic and the southern waves resist the north winds as they mimic the mane of a horse in full gallop, leaving a trail of mist in their wake. Through pelting rain and bone chilling wind, we take the frigid walk to the point of land where together we straddle the imaginary water's boundary. It starts to pour so that we are drenched in but a minute. The sea gazing ends. But we are not satisfied. We want more. Stopping at the local market we gather the necessary elements for our beachside picnic- sans beach but in the shelter of the car... We marvel at the power of the ocean, the crashing and thundering resounds. Birds fly, low just above the surf to avoid being swept away by the hearty gusts. We still our minds and bask in quiet moments to ponder the majesty and beauty that surrounds us.

The 4+ hour drive back the Plettenberg Bay is picturesque. The landscape changes from soaring cliffs and raging waves to lush green wetlands, tundra, rolling hills and valleys, wheat and canola fields, farmland splattered with cattle and sheep to cloud covered mountains and deep gorges.

We feel satisfied that we have seen and experienced the beauty of the southern coast and will treasure the memories fondly.

Mouahhhh,

MnA

Advertisement



Tot: 0.404s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb