Volunteer in South Africa to Support Struggling Education System


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
May 13th 2014
Published: May 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

In South Africa students are usually known as learners. Every year schools initiate their efforts to enlighten more South African children with education and better ways of living. However, they have to face many difficulties during this process.

If you are related to field of education and willing to participate as volunteer in South Africa for propagation of education in South Africa, it is important for you to understand history and prevailing conditions of education in the country. This will help you play your part more effectively and conveniently.

In South Africa it is mandatory for every child to obtain primary education initially and it is also obligation of South African government to provide education with all means possible. Schooling system initiate with grading system from 0 or from R which is equal to kindergarten in other British or American education system.

Afterwards, students can study to 9th grade and also provide FET that is Further Education Training till grade 12th.



Earlier Education System in South Africa

Earlier the education system of South Africa was divided into Bantu Education which was education available for Black Africans and other education system which was devised for White Africans. In the year 1970 only one tenth part of educational budget was spent on education system for Blacks and rest of the educational expense was made for education system of Whites.

In the era of 80’s one teacher was available to teach 18 white African students however, for black South African one teacher was there to teach 39 students in the country.

Likewise, 96% of teachers, teaching in school of White children are certified however, only 15% teachers of Black schools were certified that time.

This unjust Bantu system of education was borough to end in year 1994 and still after so many years of this apartheid, large numbers of Black children in South Africa are deprived of quality education. Most of the schools of the country do not equipped with libraries or computers.

They do not have sufficient teachers to educate large number of deprived children. Volunteering for teaching in South Africa is through which you can teach these children and can prove to be useful part of this world and community.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0417s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb