Interesting weekend in Jo'burg


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
February 28th 2011
Published: February 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone,
Just thought I would write about what I saw this weekend in Jo'burg. Unfortunately, I didn't take my camera with me so pictures might come later when Steve comes.

Constitution Hill is a hill over looking Jo'burg. It was an old fort built in 1896 by the Boers to protect Jo'burg from a British invasion. Later it was used as a prison for people like Mandela, Ghandhi and other activists as well as criminals such as gang member, murderers, and petty thieves. During Apartheid people were sent to the prison if they didn't have their identity cards on them. There is a women's prison there where many white and black south African activists were held. Number 4 block was the men's block that was notorious for its brutality. They have been preserved as a reminder of what happened in the past.

For me the most touching part of Constitution Hill is the Constitution Court. This is where the new Constitution is held and where judges sit that work on matters that affect the Constitution. What is amazing about it is that it was built right in the middle of the court of the prison as a reminder again of what injustices went on during Apartheid. The actual building was built from the bricks of the notorious awaiting trial blocks where prisoners often waited in cells for up to 2 years before their trail was presented. Again, using those bricks is a way to remind the court of the past.
As you walk in there is a round corridor with an artistic tree on the ceiling. This is to respect the traditional way that Africans have held meetings in the rural areas: under a tree sitting in a circle with elders and leaders. The court room itself is amazing. Everything signifies something in that room. It is a sunken round room with 11 chairs for the judges. Again the round room seems more friendly and conducive to the way Africans traditionally meet to discuss matters of importance. The 11 judges chairs are behind a long curved table and cowhides are draped over the table in front of the 11 chairs. These cowhides represent authority as for many rural Africans, the amount of cattle you own determines your leadership in the community. Above the court, near the top of the wall there is a big window. And as you look up from the court room and look through the window one of the towers of the Awaiting trial blocks is in view as a reminder of the past and the importance of freedom and justice in South Africa. Because the court is sunken, just above the judges heads are windows that are at street level. This represents transparency and anyone can look into the court room from the street to observe what is happening. The constitutional court hearings are also open to the public.

It was quite an amazing room.

On Sunday I had the privilege of going to a Jennifer Ferguson concert. She was very important in the anti-apartheid movement and held concerts of freedom all over South Africa. You can google her and read more about her. She also has a facebook site. Her voice is beautiful and for some of my colleagues here who were part of the anti-apartheid movement listening to her sing her songs brought back so many memories of that era. One of my colleagues is a good friend of Jennifer's so we went out to dinner with her which was nice. I think she would be a great person to come to Edmonton Folk Festival. I am not sure how one recommends artists to the organizers of the festival but she would be wonderful.

I have two presentations to give this week so I am looking forward to sharing and discussing with students and academics about my PhD work and the ASWEA documents.
Thanks for listening.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb