South Africa - 7th Dec - 10th Feb


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
January 29th 2010
Published: December 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

South Africa Dec/Jan 2101



Hello, and welcome to our long-awaited blog!

We must start this by saying a huge thankyou to you, our friends and family for all the support, love and help you’ve offered us, without which this trip of a lifetime wouldn’t have been possible.

So goodbye England, hello World!

First stop South Africa...land of the Lion, home of Guy.



Exhausted from weeks of packing up the house and tying up a multitude of loose ends, (and not to mention the accidental 3 day drinking session that preceded our departure,) we head off to Heathrow very ready to begin our adventure.
Whilst Tim and Sheila waved from the car after dropping us off, we were greeted by a surprise farewell committee, comprised of : 3 friends, 1 brother, 1 goddaughter, and a very old dog!(Kath, Christabel, Charlotte, Daryn, Zoë, and Ricky) Thanks so much guys, your support and thoughtfulness mean so very much to the both of us.

Then came the first (of what I assume will be many) challenges of our trip: clever me didn’t have an onward ticket from South Africa (traveling with the wind means no real forward planning), and I was therefore not
Liffy and 'Shawu'Liffy and 'Shawu'Liffy and 'Shawu'

Liffy and a life sized bronze elephant
going to be allowed on the flight, Marvelous!
In steps “Ever Resourceful Guy” who buys a one-way fully refundable ticket to Gabarone (Botswana), which meant for the whole flight to SA I had to think of as many tourist destinations and travel plans as possible ready to convince customs at Joburg that I really was going to abandon my husband on boxing day for the delights of a solo mission round the Okavango Delta!

Ho hum, it worked and we arrived in Joburg, greeted by Aunt Jillian who whisked us off to stay with her at Sun City.
With Kir Royals and pepper steak the first night was a rather luxurious one, catching up on family gossip, and trying not to think of a myriad of things we’d probably forgotten to do back home!!

Jillian then supplied us with VIP passes for the whole resort, where we joyfully had a taste of how the other half live…………….zebra skin thrones, afternoon tea, and foot massages by the pool, washed down with the occasional glass of something very cold and very strong! Fabulous, thanks Jillian!

Back on a plane, and off to Durban this time, greeted by the Italian Guru (GP), who proved to have the patience of a saint as he helped us on our 3 hour mission to gain access to Mount Edgecombe Golf Estate (Gail and Chris’s home) after posing for photo id’s and filling out more than 6 different forms we were, at last in our temporary home.

Durban was then a flurry of catch up drinkies and meals with friends as we did our best to say Howzit to the gang, and brother Nick (looking very much like a local)
A highlight of this week has to be Shawn and Bri’s Beach Wedding. The bull’s party was staged at a friends house, while us girls spent the day at a very luxurious beach resort, both were literally swimming in drinks and laughter.
The wedding was both stunning and emotional, though unfortunately completely sodden, as the Durban rain clouds did their best impersonation of monsoon in full flow……it was decided that every raindrop was a blessing, and umbrellas were must have items at any wedding…….we ate spit roast and partied til dawn, surrounded by friends old and new, Cheers to Shawn and Bri!!

Back on the plane again to Cape Town……….. Met by a very streamlined Jon (Guy’s dad).
Was wonderful to see Jon again (first time since the wedding), and after a few hours sleep we loaded ourselves and the rest of the Groom family, (including Bubbles the dog) into the car and set off at 4 am to drive the garden route…. Destination Bokness, to stay with Ilze’s family for Xmas in their lovely beachfront house.

As well as family, we also had some old friends of Guy’s with us, Trigger and Lindie, we proved ourselves to be fishing and beach fanatics.
There was deep sea fishing, early morning fishing, after lunch fishing, night fishing (you get the picture!??)
To be fair it was mostly the boys pursuing this age old survival hobby, us girls worked on our tans, Afrikaans, card skills, and wine drinking, as well as making the odd beach fire.

Then it was a truly picturesque drive back through the garden route, (this time not half asleep), watching Para gliders, wandering through roadside markets and saving the odd tortoise from certain death on the roads. On route Guy had to throw himself of the world highest bunji jump at Bloukranse Bridge.

We were then able to spend a few lovely days with Jon (before he went back to work) and Ilze and the kids, wine farms, family picnics and braais were never far away, as we discovered the delights of the beautiful Cape.

New Years eve was spent with Trigger, Lindie and Chris at the amazing Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, drinking and enjoying live music, whilst lying on the lush green slopes under the gaze of table mountain………………….the perfect beginning to 2010

Next came Team Baker (and Brann, of course), arriving on Nick’s birthday (27 again???) and more sights and booze were enjoyed, as well as regular servings of fillet steak courtesy of brother Nick’s culinary genius.
Table Mountain, Simon’s Town, wine tasting, Strandloper’s beach restaurant and a rather hot game drive start a long list of activities………………..
Tim & Sheila met Ilze, Carmia, and Ainrich for the first time, and at last the extended family was beginning to take shape.

Then came the birthdays: Lindie turned 30 and Jon 60…congratulations! Needless to say, more parties followed and the passing of years was duly honoured!!!!!!!!

Finally after trips to the brick factory (very very very hot), and with kids back at school, it was time to say a sad goodbye to everyone and head back to steamy Durban.

Gail and Chris were here this time, back from their tour of the States, and once again lots of family gatherings. Notably a Sunday lunch, with cousins, aunts and friends, it was a wonderful day for everyone to meet, and renew family friendships. It was also a chance for everyone to meet Aunt Bonny’s newly adopted daughters, Holly and Jessie, who at 1 and 2yrs were adorable.

Kirsten (Nick’s girlfriend) also hosted a wonderful dinner, proving that the Baker/Groom family and all the connections really is quite huge these days!!! (and that a strong Gin and Tonic is universally appreciated)

Then another sad farewell to Sheila and Tim as they head back to a snowy England which leaves Guy and I packing ready for India……………………………….



Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



2nd February 2010

Bon Voyage!!!!!!!
Bon Voyage my darlings ....... what fun to be able to follow you around the world on your Blog ....... can't wait for the next entry xxxxxx Jillian
2nd February 2010

You lucky, lucky buggers!
No, really, we're not at all jealous! It sounds like you're having a horrible time! We'd much rather be here in sunny old England, working silly hours and getting cold. But seriously, fantastic blog + looking forward to the next one. Hope the India preparations are going well, and as Jillian says....Bon Voyage! Love you both loads, Christabel + Kevin xxx
4th February 2010

Lots love on your travels
Great blog guys, can't wait to read the next news and the next. Keep them coming. Lots love and happiness from the Weiss's
4th February 2010

Happy Travels
Fantastic to hear of your travels. You know you have somewhere to stay in OZ if it is on your agenda. Have a great journey. Trace xxxx
5th February 2010

hello darling!!! hows you, please send an email soon, love to catch up properly xxxxxxxx
9th February 2010

safe passage- enjoy
Hi Liff and Guy, if you are coming Portugal way, you are welcome to stay. It would be great to see you both. Stay safe and have a great time. Dave
16th February 2010

Enjoy!
Guy - love the blog, although I may give the bungee jumping a miss!! Hope you're ready for India, have a fantastic time and am looking forward to the next entry. (Liffie - I've not met you before, but I really enjoyed your stories on the blog!)
16th February 2010

Hi Liffie and Guy, What an amazing adventure you are experiencing - wish we were there too!I didn't like the night sharks very much- but everything else seems to be incredibly exciting and very beautiful!! Keep enjoying and keep safe. Thanks for including us in your travel blog - you are an amazingly lucky couple. Much love, Inge + John
17th February 2010

could be wales...right?
all looking good, nice work on the blog Mrs Chicken and photographer Groom. Lif you look like Victoria Beckham with those strawbs - and nice to see you're in sensible footware up Table mountain.... kisses xx and a poke *
26th February 2010

The pictures and descriptions are so amazing - due to hit SA on 3rd April - you should be working for the SA tourist board. Hope India is as good.
6th July 2010
Grandpa Dassie

Old man
A really great picture, half the fun is waiting to get the right shot. Well done. Enjoy your trip. Love Dad

Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb