GOOD TIMES IN WILDERNESS


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa
September 20th 2007
Published: September 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Wilderness - Drive back to the coast to stay in the brilliant and stunning wild farm. This is an old family farm which has only been going as a backpackers for a while. Our favourite so far!! We actually get the whole place to ourselves!! It's quite small, on top of a mountain with 360 views of the ocean in front and mountain range behind. You can enjoy all of this from their outdoor shower or any of the nice spots for sitting chilling. For some reason, maybe the rain when we arrived - it reminded me of being in donegal in Ireland?!

Met some really cool people and their cool dogs. Theo, owner and his girlfriend, Frida, and her bro Jaquewebus (not sure of spelling - sorry dude?!). Frida does an art project with local kids that live in the squatter camp, doing art with them, which started as part of her fine art degree. The class gives them a chance to get some artistic stimulation and to be creative and get involved. It was really amazing to talk to her about it and we were keen to help. She does it on nothing, in a classroom at a local church. Different kids come every week and there can be up to 50 some times?! It was awesome, the kids are all really sweet, enthused and super cute! We made a big piece with pvc paints so they could see all the colours mixing and get messy, great fun. Then after you just spend some time playing with them, I gave them all nail art on their wee teeny toenails like the thing lisa did for me for the wedding!! They talked a wee bit of english but generally they can make themselves understood - better than us anyway! Funny cos they are all shy to start off and then they come round pretty quick to clambouring all over you!

We breifly visited the camp where they live, wilderness heights. It sound much nicer than it is. It is grim actually. They live in makeshift shacks and huts with no facilities. Most of the adults are unemployed and many have problems with drink. 10 MILLION people live like this in SAfrica. Apparently they are all to be housed in brick houses by 2010 and the world cup but I don't thinki it looks likely. These camps are everywhere, every town has them, and you never get used to seeing them.

We loved our time with the kids so much we decided to come back a few days later after J Bay and take them all to the beach. They only live a few kms away but some of them have never even been - unbelievable, as a person who spent most of their childhood on a beach of some description, I can't even comprehend that! Swimming, splashing, building sandcastles, rubbish collecting, jam sandwiches, frisbee playing and a lot of happy excited kids - it was just brilliant. They are hilarious, they were loving soaking and splashing the newbies!

Then enjoyed a lovely dinner back at the farm with the guys. 'breads' - toasties on the fire - sweet potatoes and sausage - YUM! Braii, SAfrican BBQ are everywhere here. At all picnic spots, backpackers, gardens -everywhere.

We really want to try and help her get resources together to keep it going and maybe get another day a week happening with the kids doing sports or drama or something. It's a lot for her to do herself, although she's doing a grand job! Had some brainstorming round the fire with them about ways we could help so I'm thinking a lot about that just now...watch this space! They may start to do a volunteer program with vols staying at the back packers so let me know if anyone is interested or could help with paints, equipment, sponsorship or whatever.

A great experience, a great place and great company xx




Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb