molehills, mountains, and....rugby!!!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape
August 15th 2010
Published: August 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Yikes!!! Time is flying by here (boooooo)!

I've had an awesome week with my babies and even managed to get the mamas to play with me too. I brought some bubbles to the house on Friday and I think the mamas had more fun with them than the kids did (see photo). I also managed to snap a couple of photos for teaching/positioning purposes. This is Mihle, and it only took nearly an hour of SLOW stretching to get him in this position - and another 10 minutes to get him to lift his head up (the secret weapon....banging on a djembe - this kid LOVES music!).

We got to spend an afternoon in Bo-Kaap, the largest Muslim community here in Cape Town, known for its colorful houses and friendly people. Saturday, a few of us decided to hike Table Mountain - it took over 2 hours and is only a little over 2 miles, but the elevation is over 3,000 feet and was like climbing a MASSIVE staircase - and for vertically challenged people like myself, it was like rock climbing in some areas....Once we FINALLY made it, the views were unbeatable!! After lunch and wine at the top, we trekked over to the cable car station and took the cable cars down (3 minutes - really!? Over 2 hours up and 3 minutes down?!) After Table Mountain, we were off to a rugby game at the Newlands Stadium here in Cape Town - the Vodacom WP vs the Blue Bulls - home team wins and fans are happy....I felt like I was in Times Square on New Years with the crowds there! We had a blast screaming chants in Afrikaans with the rest of the crowd (who knows what we were saying) and watching these GIANT men hurl their bodies at one another (think football without the pads and helmets - yikes!)

One more week here with CCS, then will be off gallivanting around the rest of South Africa with Joclynn. This is sure to be another busy and exciting week.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb