Wilderness and Oudtshoorn


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Wilderness
November 21st 2014
Published: January 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

In Wilderness we chose to stay at the "Beach House", that many backpackers had adviced us. The backpacker is situated in front of the beach, which gave us a beautiful view on the sea from our bed. Unfortunately, sleeping with 20 people in one dorm and having only one shower for so many people, wasn't for us worth the view. Therefore, we changed the next day to the "Fairy Knowe" backpacker, who is situated a bit farther from the beach, but next to the Wilderness National Park. A campaign French style house with a very welcoming crazy English owner. It was also the first time, we had the opportunity to borrow bicycles, which we used a lot during our stay there.

Wilderness is jam-packed with activities. One of the activities we prefered was the beautiful hike through the National Park to the waterfall, except for the mosquito attack during a short period of that hike. Another amazing hike we made was to meet the famous cavemen. A men who lives in a cave for already eight years and rearranged it to welcome homeless people for a night or two. The cave was rearranged by all the objects he found and the beauty of it impressed us.

During our stay in the Fairy Knowe backpackers, we met two German guys who told us they wanted to go on a day trip to Oudtshoorn. Very good news, because our initial plan was to spend one night there after Wilderness. Oudtshoorn is known as the ostrich capital of the world, so we went to a ostrich farm where we could ride an ostrich. After we saw the first girl falling from it, we reconsidered the riding. Afterwards we went to a wildlife zoo where we saw white tigers! Our German friends also did a crocodile diving, quite funny to see as the crocodiles where very sleepy and didn't seem dangerous at all. To end that beautiful day, we went to a restaurant where we finally tasted delicious ostrich steak!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb