Stellenbosch Nightlife


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Stellenbosch
October 30th 2006
Published: October 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Return to Kayamandi after another awesome weekend, this time spent in Backpackers Hostel only half an hour away from Host family house, but what a difference!

Moyo Restaurant on Friday night was magical, unlike anywhere I've been before. It's simply a restaurant based outside among the trees in the Spier Winelands, lit only by lanterns and fires, absolutely beautiful. There are even tables up in the trees themselves. Everyone wears traditional African dress and they come round and sing at the tables, there are bands playing, others come and paint your face. The buffet is immense...every meat from kudu, ostrich, crocodile...and five different types of fish. Each has a different sauce or relish to go with it, and there's hot and cold salads, potatoes etc. Cakes, ice-creams, sauces for buffet desert. Definitely my kind of place! Could have stayed there drinking the cocktails til sunrise.

Saturday was spent at the beach, fortunately was a hot day as its freezing today...changes so quickly. Saturday night out in Stellenbosch was awesome, typical uni bars and clubs (minus Exeter ras), everyone wearing funky clothes, felt distinctly averagely dressed. Lil Kate would have loved it! Chose an average place to eat, but night got better at Bohemia and later Mystic for a dance (fortunately had enough to drink so could enjoy the base and drum styley music...not normally my cup of tea. Discovered a new drink called Jenga Bombs. They consist of a shot glass of jengamyster (spelt totally wrong no doubt), inside a whisky glass of red bull. As you drink out of the whisky glass, the shot slowly pours into your mouth...very tasty but lethal.

Spent Saturday dossing in Stellenbosch, went from cafe to cafe to ice cream to a sleep in the park. How a few of the others were still drinking I do not know.

Sunday evening, the children were outside to greet us back, Lulutho giving so many cuddles. Think they were a bit disappointed when after an hours play I was absolutely exhausted and went to bed at 7.30.

Back to school today...tomorrow is Athi's birthday and we're having a party for him at the after school computer class. Won't be quite like Mystic but I'm looking forward to it.

Photos to follow...

Advertisement



31st October 2006

pics
Em, Thanks for the latest blog. However, I was saddened that you chose not to load up any pictures. Regards, Shirty x
3rd November 2006

face 'paint'
Em, Thank you for your explanation. I saw a video once where the girls were 'keeping cool' with that stuff on their faces. Keep in touch, Shirty x

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb