The Nappa Valley of South Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Stellenbosch
April 30th 2007
Published: April 30th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful!Beautiful!Beautiful!

...I think these were called the Simonsberg mountains
We were on the road from Oudtshoorn to Stellenbosch a little later (as we didn't get back to our hostel until 11am...due to Meerkat Magic) the morning of the 29th. The drive was beautiful, as we drove up Route 62 through some small wine towns. The road took us through canyons with streams, and by large boulders and rock formations...very similar to Highway 6 around Golden, Colorado. The drive turned out to be about 5 hours, so upon our arrival (since it was a Sunday), all of the wineries were already closed for the day; not to worry, as we would more than make up for it on Monday (30 April).

Our guesthouse (de Oude Ryneveld--don't ask me what that means) was very lovely. Our room had a high vaulted ceiling with wooden beams mixed in with the stucco (almost like the romantic styles of old German houses). The owner, a man named Boris (whom I thought might be Russian before meeting him) was very cool (almost hip, you could say), and he gave us a lot of useful information. We traded travel stories one morning.

The breakfast each morning was wonderful too...a combination of omlettes with biltong (wild-game jerkey), fruit, granola, yoghurt, muffins, toast, tomatoes, and mushrooms. The presentation was excellent.

With only one vineyard that was on our list to definitely visit (Kanonkop...recommended to us by three different South Africans as having the country's best Pinotage), we started out, picking a few wineries who's pictures in our guide book looked pretty. Clos Malverne was the first winery, a very small and fun winery where we were the only people there, and stayed about an hour. It was the first time I've ever poured out an unfinished glass(es) of wine into a bowl (I felt wasteful). But I'm glad I did, since Erin took somewhat of a different route, and by the third vineyard was feeling loopy. The 2nd winery was called Neethlingshof; somewhat of a large place with less character but very beautiful. After another hour, we arrived at Asara (a winery which was next door) and tasted a wonderful chardonnay, which we ended up buying. This was both of our favorite wine of the day.

After a brief lunch, we continued on with our wine extravaganza, beginning with the hallowed Kanonkop (hallowed among South Africans...and Pops). I have to say, I wasn't impressed.
Sitting on Port Barrells at MuratieSitting on Port Barrells at MuratieSitting on Port Barrells at Muratie

...the last winery of the day (yes, the 6th) had Port tasting, so we bought two bottles
Maybe it was the fact that I felt extremely underdressed as I walked into the plush tasting room, almost hitting my head on the chandelier, and seeing my reflection in the solid gold tasting table--funky flip-flops (funky as in smelling funky...not stylish funky), plain tank top, and grungy shorts. Or maybe that it was just too hyped up in my mind, and tasting the first droplet of juice, if it was any thing short of bliss, was going to be a let down. While the vineyard's tasting room wowed us with elegance, the Pinotage came up short.

We ended the day visiting two more vineyards, Uitkyk and Muratie, buying some white port from the latter. We enjoyed our two days in Stellenbosch immensely (especially the fact that you can bring your own wine to restaurants). The weather was beautiful, the town had a nice quaint college town feel, our host Boris was very nice, and the wine was superb.







Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Neethlingshof WineryNeethlingshof Winery
Neethlingshof Winery

...our second winery of the day (our eyes are still open, but you can tell they are starting to go)
Another stunning viewAnother stunning view
Another stunning view

...view from Neethlingshof Winery


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb