11 cramped hours later.... South Africa!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Somerset West
January 18th 2009
Published: January 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Kogel BayKogel BayKogel Bay

On the beach, day 2 looking onto the mountains

First couple of days in South Africa...



Well me and Lucie arrived at Cape Town int airport just before 9am after a long and restless flight for me and my legs! The car hire company we used had failed to realise that we'd be on an international flight and so were waiting to pick us up at domestics! After about 30 minutes of waiting we were finally greeted by Cecil (the driver) and taken to our car, a shiny bright white Mitsubishi Lancer. Half an hour later and we were on our way up the N2 to Somerset West. It was a gorgeous day, hardly a cloud in the sky and pretty warm having come from pouring rain in Dorset.

We're staying at the Firmount Guest Suites for the next 5/6 nights, they are really cute and very nicely presented. Gorgeous beds and a very pleasing shower room and kitchenette with complimentary flapjacks! After very little unpacking we headed to the beach, the Strand. It was pretty windy when we got there but we didn't truly appreciate how windy it was until we got on the sand and found it hard to open our eyes of speak to each other in fear of getting sand in either our eyes or in our mouths!haha, 2 hours and hair and ears full of sand later we left, very sandy!

Today we decided to head to a beach round the headland, past Gordon's Bay, next to Kogel bay, to a little cove surrounded by caves and much more protected from the infamous south easterly winds! Well it was pretty hot down there and some massive sets were rolling in, with a few body boarders heading out to get in the barrels!

Not much else to report on really other than we're getting browner, much to the delight of the tanning addict Luc, and having an amazing start to our trip. Its so nice just relaxing and being able take each day with whatever opportunities arise. Missing everyone and hope all is well wherever you are!



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb