Monkey Business


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Plettenberg Bay
June 19th 2010
Published: June 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

One or two of the moneys are a bit of the problems for us, maybe the see us as intruders or new females into their troop that need putting in place, we are not sure. Monki is one of them and is always threatening us, and as soon as she starts Coco is instantly there backing her up, so we have reverted to arming ourselves; molly carry's a mop, Lianne has a stick, and I have a length of plastic piping, and if all that fails we move to be near the dogs.
Karen decided to put all the top monkeys in cages while she let 2 new monkeys out to explore and bond with some of the lower status monkeys. We thought it was haven as no more Monki & Coco chasing us.
The 2 new monkeys are Clare who is a wild rescued monkey, and Yarpy who was a pet of a couple who spoil her rotten, she arrived twice the size of a normal monkey. Clare is doing very well and has integrated into the troop, but Yarpy is hopeless, she has no monkey manners and was chased by the other monkeys. Unfortunately Yarpy will have to stay in an enclosure and will not be released with this troop, There are afew other monkeys that will also not be released, one is Spike who was mentally retarded and found wondering on the side of the road, she was doing OK with the troop, but one days Mr No Hands suddenly attacked her, after mating with one of the females, he nearly killed Spike, bite his spine and now Spike has very limited movement in is legs. Karen thinks it is what probably happens in the wild, ill babies are killed to keep the troop strong & healthy.
A few other monkeys have limb deformities, so Karen will keep them as the probably want be safe from predators.
All these monkeys will act as surrogate parents for orphan babies.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0539s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb