A Saturday full of animals!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Hout Bay
October 2nd 2016
Published: October 17th 2016
Edit Blog Post

It was our last weekend in South African and it was certainly one full of animals.

Megan and Byron were visiting family for the weekend but luckily were able to make time for to visit Boulders Beach in Simons Town. Somewhere Alex was going to love. It is about 30-40 minutes drive from Constantia, with the most stunning coastal views along the way. Boulders beach is a fantastic area surrounded by African penguins. You can pay to visit Boulders beach and get on the beach but there is a perfectly free walkway allowing you to get just as close to the Penguins.

Megan and Byron set off on their long drive and we set off to World of Birds in Hout Bay. It cost us 95 rand each, (just over £5) and what a fabulous little place this sanctuary is. The sanctuary also houses many reptiles and mammals. A fantastic experience, and a personal favourite was the squirrel monkey enclosure. We were told to make sure we had no food and to zip our bags up, I thought oh here we go, the overly cautious signs we have seen back home. Well, what a surprise. As soon as we stepped in last the second door, a curious squirrel monkey jumped on Alex's backpack and was attempting to undo the zips, once he realised he could not get into the bag he jumped onto a tree and was no longer interested in us. We walked round the enclosure and a keeper walked past, put some seed on us and then we were covered in squirrel monkeys. IT WAS AMAZING! The lady took Alex's phone and snapped away. Once the monkeys had found the seeds in my hair, we sat down and enjoyed watching the squirrel monkeys jump from branch to branch, noseying at each passer by. Even checking Alex's fly st one point to see if there were any nuts in there for him ?. "Those aren't for you" he said. We ventured round the sanctuary, all in all I would say you need about three hours to walk through the enclosures and visit all the animals and feeding times. We didn't expect much but were truly surprised.



With love, from Constantia X


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb