South Africa: How could you be so blind as to see everything in black and white?


Advertisement
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Hermanus
September 15th 2006
Published: September 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

(These pictures are best viewed in full size) ZWELIHLE TOWNSHIP: Beauty and kindness in a world of despair I had a very eye-opening day today and one of the best so far on this trip. I was taken on a tour of the Zwelihle Township by an elder of the community. His name was Willy, a very enigmatic and charismatic soul. He has lived in the township for many many years and takes people throug... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Library booksLibrary books
Library books

We visited the local library and I took a picture of the books that had been taken out to go back on the racks. It was amazing, they were all political. If you view the full image you can see the titles.
These people are also trying to make a livingThese people are also trying to make a living
These people are also trying to make a living

They were cooking some kind of food and trying to sell it on the street. It looked like some kind of cooked vegetable.
HomeHome
Home

The sign on the door reads "Don't speak to me, speak to my lawyer"
Faces of ZwelihleFaces of Zwelihle
Faces of Zwelihle

The lady on the left: for some reason she haunted me - she still does when I look at that picture and remember her. Her eyes hold an untold story and I wonder what it is she has seen.
Women of ZwelihleWomen of Zwelihle
Women of Zwelihle

These women were so funny, they ran when they saw the camera to get their sunday dress on. They look so proud.
Single motherhood in the townshipsSingle motherhood in the townships
Single motherhood in the townships

Much more common than the father being there.
Joy in the townshipJoy in the township
Joy in the township

I am sure Unice is responsible for a lot of joy in a place where it may be hard to find.
ChildrenChildren
Children

We are all the same no matter where we are or what color our skin is. All color is valuable. We all bleed and we all live and die.



24th September 2006

PHOTOS
Excellent photos!
25th September 2006

Great pics
Great pics. The black and white is an extra great touch!!
25th September 2006

This was an eye opener!
Hey guys, great pics and an even better read. I was so touched and moved by what you saw and the people you met. There is a great deal of misconceptions when it comes to some of those places in S.Africa.
25th September 2006

It is true
A picture really is worth a 1000 words!! Nice job capturing the true essence of the town and the people. Keep it up! Ciao for now brown cows Tan P.S. - DAY 13 TODAY - WOOHOO!!
30th September 2006

Congratulations!
Congratulations Heide! The power of our written word is enormous. There is a small spark of writing in most of us just waiting to be ignited by our creative wind. And you Heide have certainly ignited your creative wind with your eloquent blog re Zwelihle township. There is a narrowness to all our lives, lived as we are in privilege and in full consciousness that millions of less fortunate, but equally deserving souls go without. Unique experience for you Heide adding value and quality to your life. I'm sure very fulfilling. Very moving stories and pictures.
12th May 2009

these pictures make you very thankful for things we take for granted. just one question -- when were they taken?
28th May 2009

Hi there, I went to South Africa in September of 2006, thanks for the comment, nice to know people are still reading even as the years are passing. Take care.

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 18; qc: 87; dbt: 0.0949s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb