Penquins Make the Best Models


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Hermanus
November 21st 2008
Published: August 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was shark day. Today, it's the penguins' turn and they prove to be better subjects.

The group has loved Birkenhead so much that Ngaire, our travel agent, arranges for a late check-out plus lunch around the pool area. We're thrilled to spend a few extra hours in this beautiful location.

The back patio overlooking the ocean has been calling Alan for a little early morning whale watching. This morning he makes it down for the spectacular scene. I catch up with him for breakfast and a cappuccino. Then we explore the property before lunch beside the pool with three tables of travel friends who are all looking forward to our cruise from Cape Town to Rio. Of course the tomato appetizer, fish cake and brownie dessert were delicious.

The entire Birkenhead staff waves goodbye as our bus pulls away. Today we board Regent Seven Seas Navigator in Cape Town. But first, we have a date with penguins. Our journey takes us along the Clarence Drive Route to Stony Point and Betty's Bay, where a boardwalk near the parking lot meanders over sand dunes and towards the sea. Jackass penguins are everywhere. They huddle in groups, cocking their heads just so, seeming to pose for our numerous photographs. We watch as they waddle down to the shore. Once in the water, these ungainly walkers turn into elegant swimmers. Their braying calls fill the air. Now we know where they got their name. Yes, they do sound like donkeys.

Soon, we're back on our scenic drive to the ship. Next up? Namibia.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0477s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb