Cape Town to Swellendam


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Hermanus
June 14th 2009
Published: June 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Hello All!
We done quite a bit since leaving Cape Town. Our first stop was just outside of Stellenbosch, wine country. We stayed 3 nights in a really nice cabin built over a lake. The bird life there was amazing and the lake was filled with large mouth bass. The country side there is beautiful rolling hills of vineyards and the wine estates are done in the most beautiful Cape Dutch architecture. Some of the wineries have been there producing wine since the late 1600's. We did a great hike while there and I had one of the most amazing meals I've ever had at a restaurant called 96 Winery Road. It was Duck and Cherry Pie. I've got to learn how to make it, heavenly! From there we drove on down the scenic coastal highway, stopped in Betty's Bay to see some more Penguins, then on into Hermanus. Beautiful little seaside town. We camped for two nights on the beach in the suburb of Onrus, awesome. It's really great to see how the South Africans embrace their beautiful outdoors, the sporting goods industry thrives here. Campers, tents, climbing equipment, water sports, fishing, ATV's, parachuting, you name it, they're out doing it. We did a great hike and climb in the Fernkloof Nature Reserve. All in one day we climbed a peak, hiked through two types of indigenous forests and walked a beautiful beach. Hermanus is famous for it's whale festival every September. The whales start arriving in June. There were 5 males there scouting the bay before the females arrive. Unfortunatly we didn't get to see them. Maybe when we get farther up the coast. We left Hermanus and headed inland to Swellendam. A great little mountain town. Reminds us both alot of Colorado. We're back at a backpacker's lodge. Great dinner and live music on Saturday night. We went into the Botenbok Nature Reserve and saw some different types of antelopes they're trying to preserve and re-establish here, mainly the Botenbok. On Sunday we did a major hike and climb in the Marloth Nature Reserve, Langeberg Mountains. Absolutely beautiful, we would have sworn we were climbing up around the Durango/Silverton area. We're having a great time, but I wish it would warm up just a little. Sounds strange to be in Africa and the weathers to cool, we'll be in snow in a few weeks! More later.
Carolyn &
Male Cape Sugar BirdMale Cape Sugar BirdMale Cape Sugar Bird

The tails of the males can be over 5 inches long.
Aaron


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



15th June 2009

looks like you guys are having a good time. thanks for pictures and updates dave g

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb