There be Whales here


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Hermanus
June 28th 2008
Published: June 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

There be Whales here!


Friday, June 27

That’s right - I said it - Whales off the coast of a small town named Hermanus. We were picked up bright and not-so early at 10:00AM from Cape Grace but didn’t manage to meet our driver until about 10:30. The drive to Hermanus was stormy - it rained most of the way and we stopped at a local coffee shop where we had a yummy pizza and carot cake. Getting back onto our wet road we finally arrived at the Birkenhead House to a spectacular home nested just above a huge white beach on a small cliff top. More of a large house than a hotel, there are 11 rooms and guests are encouraged to make themselves feel at home in the common areas. With a raging fire in the living area along with a number of liquors and treats, the Birkenhead House more than re-creates the creature comforts of one’s own home. After settling in, we got a ride to the city and found that most of the town closes at around 5PM. We tried to visit a “cave” bar recommended by Christine Saleebey but to our dismay found that the owner, Genti, was either closed for the night, or vacationing (akin to what he was doing when Christine met him in San Diego). Walking back up to town we stopped at Cubana bar and had a Dirty Sanchez and Tazmanian devil (what I know more thoroughly as an AMF). While sipping our sundowners, a few whales popped in and began breaching and breathing - we got some great shots and it was the first time either of us had witnessed such amazing creatures welcome us to their town. We phoned the Birkenhead House to collect us from the main beach strip and arrived home safely. The staff had prepared an amazing candlelit dinner for us and we brought the evening to a close just after a competitive scrabble battle.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



30th June 2008

Hermanus
It's too bad the cave was closed. You would have loved Giangi (Genti) he is a crazy, interesting guy. I can't wait to see pics of the whales!!!!!
1st July 2008

wow....
Hi Sean and Tabitha... I just read your new Africa blog and wanted to say everything looks wonderful!!! I am glad you both are having a great time!!! continue to post pictures and let us know how your travels are doing. Love ya, Crystal Canty

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb