South Africa 2016


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Gordon's Bay
March 15th 2016
Published: March 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Well we are in the final stretch of our "winter getaway" returning home on March 25 which is Good Friday. It has been such a wonderful trip to Namibia/South Africa and our stay in Gordon's Bay was most pleasant. In spite of that, it's always good to be home, although Debra insists I finish off the winter with a golf trip to Florida with my brother and others. (Departing for a week on March 28th)

One of the highlights over the past 2 weeks was the Starlight Concert which is held on the grounds of the beautiful Vergelegan Winery. We attended the concert on our last trip to South Africa and enjoyed it so much, that we were eagerly awaiting this year's performances. The weather didn't disappoint us and there were 13 in our group, sitting around a big Camphor tree for another very enjoyable picnic. This was a very professional production showcasing many talented South African performers.

The following week we went on a shopping trip to the beautiful town of Franschoek where we stayed for a couple of nights on our first trip to South Africa in 2010. There are lots of restaurants, craft stores and art galleries conducive to leisurely walking around. We experienced another example of a small world. Walking on Main street, we came upon a group including Jim Cuddy. For those unfamiliar with the name, he is part of Blue Rodeo a very successful Canadian band formed in the 80's. Jim has become a Canadian music Icon having also been inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame. We have seen the band perform numerous times and Jim himself performed last year at the Jackson Triggs Winery(across from where we live) with the Niagara Symphony Orchestra. We introduced ourselves and had a nice chat. This is his 5th trip to South Africa, absolutely loves the country and is visiting this time as part of a tour that raised money for the Canadian Olympic Team.

We are finishing off the last couple of weeks with some golf games (including one with the Pro that has been giving us lessons), a couple of special lunches and saying "adieu" to the wonderful people that we met from around the world and have gotten to know quite well. David and Gillian Burke, guests at Highcliffe House from Ireland, hosted a farewell event including David performing on the Sax. It was a fun evening and there also happened to be a guitar, so of course, there was also a "sing along"

As said in our final Blog on South Africa in 2014, this country is a "hidden gem" to vacation and/or to escape winter. It's a place that is a low profile travel destination in North America but deserves much more attention. For any one contemplating a visit, we'd be more than happy to provide some help in planning the trip.

Until our next trip, "au revoir"

Advertisement



22nd March 2016

Safe travels
Hi, Debra & Dana: Your last blog is like the Final Season of a favourite TV program. I hate to see it end. I'll miss reading about your explorations. We look forward to seeing you the next time our Lorne Park group get together. Enjoy your time in Florida. Dody & Louis

Tot: 0.366s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0942s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb