Monkey Around


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape of Good Hope
January 19th 2012
Published: January 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Thursday's start included a very early morning work session with the CSR team where I was able to share the emotional township tour. Since this group is shaping the charitable arm of our organization, it was decided that we should start by leaving a legacy right in Cape Town. More to come on that.

Thursday was a full day booked on large coaches for a tour of the country side and southern coast line. We made our way south around the west coast of Africa. We stopped in Camps Bay for an Adrenalin Boat ride and a visit to an off the coast sea lion colony. The speed boats were equipped with saddle type seats and fit about 15 people each. Our boat had twin 200 HP outboard motors and hauled ass! The bay was foggy to begin with so we made our way out to the sea lion colony where we saw an estimated 15,000 sea lions in their breeding season. They we swimming very close to the boat and sun bathing on a rocky outcrop of islands. Aside from the smell, it was awesome. On the way back the fog had lifted and the captain put that power to use as we went wake jumping and completed high speed maneuvers. What a rush and a great way to shake any lingering hangover!

After an hour or so speeding around Camps Bay we were back on the bus for a beautiful drive through Chapman's Peak (something straight out worlds dangerous roads) on our way down to Cape Point, the southern tip of Africa and the point where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans converge. Amazing views along the road as the mountain ranges came right down to the ocean’s edge. The Cape of Good Hope was our destination and it is located in a Nature Reserve. The reserve is home to Zebras, Bantok (wild antelope), and Baboons. The baboons are a local nuisance as the break into cars and chase people; however they are protected from any harm. We were warned explicitly to stay aware and don't carry any food. Our tour was safe but on the way out we witnessed a baboon chase someone down for their ice cream. The woman was screaming and scared but unharmed. The female baboon enjoyed the ice cream. We had a very delicious lunch at the Cape Point overlook and headed back to the city via the Eastern Peninsula. More incredible views as the Indian Ocean side of Africa is not as populous and fairly rural.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0465s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb