Township Experience (long entry)


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
January 18th 2012
Published: January 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today's activity was optional and among the choices was a tour of the local townships. Townships consist of the old segregated areas of Cape Town that were created as a result of Apartheid.

Apartheid, also known as the Forced Removal Period, was the government sponsored separation of people by color. Whites were given access to the best homes, schools, and neighborhoods. Non-white people of Malasian, Indian, or mixed origin were called Colored and given slightly better housing and more privilege. African black people, who made up 80% of the population, were given almost no rights and evicted from their homes and moved into settlements outside of the city. All of this happened in the late 1940's and into the 1960's.

On this tour we visited the oldest township Langa, meaning sun. We were greeted by a local tour guide who took us on foot through the township visiting brick and mortar hostels and shanty houses. The first stop was a local woman who sells sheep head. She buys the heads from the butcher, boils and scrapes the wool, splits the skull with an axe, discarding the brain, and barbecues the head. This is a staple meal in the townships along with corn maze porridge.

Overall living conditions are similar to other parts of the world I have visited like Central America. The primary difference is these people were forced to live in these townships due to government laws. While Apartheid officially ended in 1994, the effects are lingering primarily due to the lack of education and very high unemployment. (Nearly 50%) Proud to say our global CSR project for WorldPay will focus on education!

It was a moving experience and significant reality check to visit the local people in Africa. The trip was not entirely without hope as we visited one community that was rebuilding and starting their own preschools and daycares. Overall I would definitely recommend seeing this part of South Africa if for no other reason than to full appreciate the simple blessings you enjoy every day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Local PubLocal Pub
Local Pub

Drinking the local beer made from fermented corn maze


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb