a little bit backwards


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
June 20th 2006
Published: June 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well! Many adventures have been had since my last update and it might take me awhile to recall them all!

Last weekend's agenda was tweaked a little to omit surfing and include a visit to the Two Oceans Aquarium instead. The aquarium and its exhibits are really beautiful... it focuses on, as its name suggests, the two oceans that converge at the bottom of the cape - the Atlantic & the Indian.

Our visit to Themba Care, the children's AIDS hospice, was different than we had all imagined. The facilities are gorgeous - they seem to have a lot more money to spend than Sarah Fox - and most the children seemed to be doing really really well on account of their anti-retroviral drug regimes. It was a basically the same as a spending a few hours at Sarah Fox but with only 12 kids vying for your attention.

Saturday afternoon we ventured to Camps Bay to have a lovely lunch & to view the 12 apostles (what the 12 mountainous rocks are called on that stretch of the cape). We were enjoying the scenery and the cool but bright day until an unexpected and chilly wave soaked our pants and chased us up the beach.

Last week and this week some new arrivals and many discharges have taken place at the hospital. It is bittersweet to see the kids go but discharge time is the chance for us to ask the parents if we can take pictures 😊 A couple kids have returned to us after some time away - either because they have gotten worse or because the parents can't cope. It is nice to see them again but sad at the same time knowing that they have been readmitted.

This weekend we all had a blast. Friday night we hit up a local venue (when we finally found it) for a concert of a great South African band - Freshly Ground www.freshlyground.com They are currently embarking on a European tour, spreading their soul-rockish-caribbean infused sounds (flute, sax, violin, guitars, keyboards, drums, vocals).

Saturday morning Emily, Rik & I woke early...
de dum
de dum
de dum de dum de dum de dum
and went shark cage diving (before having tried surfing).
It was absolutely fabulous. We took loads of pictures, underwater too & ordered a dvd for your viewing pleasure when I get home 😊

All of our fingers and toes accounted for, we had an easy night relaxing & enjoying World Cup competition on the hostel bar's big screen. Sunday, one us down for the count from tonsilitis (every cold & flu is making the rounds here among us all), the rest of us enjoyed a lovely morning in the parks. Then the past two days have been spent in the company of local friends at their place in Fish Hoek, enjoying the sun, their hospitality (welcomed health kick dining) and the breathtaking view from their porch.

Back at the hospital now we are planning a party for the kids on Friday complete with magician and balloonist!! This is the last full week at Sarah Fox for the other girls! *sob!*

hope all is well chez vous!
until next time, lm :D

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb