Cape Town


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
July 17th 2010
Published: August 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

View from the trainView from the trainView from the train

Near the large grape growing region just north of Cape Town; Winelands.
Train Ride to Cape Town wasn't quite as comfy as in Aus, but I guess when it was only $30 for 1600Km ($300 for similar Km in Aus) you can't really complain. Lights are kept on bright for the 26 hours so you can keep a better eye on all your gear too, Hawkers jump on and off at the stations selling everything from alcohol to nail clippers, and all for a good price. The Dining car was good too, got a beef curry for about $6 so all good. Along the way there we some amazing views comparable to the Lakes Disrict in the South Island. Streams in front of hillside vineyards backing on to snow tipped mountains. Just north of Cape Town is one of the main wine regions in the country.

Stayed at a place called two oceans backpackers in Cape Town, learnt a bit about the coast from talking to others, sounds like you have to take at least a week or two to get a decent look. Met a guy Nemo (Nimrod) from Israel, he was going round the coast in a couple of days so organised to jump in with him. Also a guy Dan from the UK who was keen to get out before he flew out in a couple of days. Spent a few nights in Cape Town looking around, going to town etc, there was a good Irish pub with live music every night and 500 or so US exchange students had just arrived so town was buzzing even though the cup was over. The cup was based around the waterfront in Cape Town including the Stadium, Fanfest, big screens and all the nice malls and places to eat. Spent a bit of time wandering around here, could see Robbin Island (Mandela's prison), saw Shrek 3D at the movies which was awesome etc..

On the last day, after the All Blacks Won again :-) we got a taxi to the cable car at Table Mountain, after looking at the price and after talking to others we (Nemo and Canadian) decided that climbing it would be the best option. The view from the top was amazing, a flat area the size of a couple of soccer fields at the top and then cliff on every side. You can walk around and see every everywhere. Sea on one side cliffs and peaks the other, snow capped mountains inland and the city and harbout. The scenery was a lot greener like NZ compared to Jburg etc in the north. Only photos will do this place justice (They're coming). After 5 hours we were back at the bottom and ready for a relaxed night before taking off the next day.

Plan to catch the bus with Nemo the next day...





Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Waterfall.Waterfall.
Waterfall.

on the side of the mountain
Cape Town city hall.Cape Town city hall.
Cape Town city hall.

This is where Mandela said is famous 'Freedom Speech'.
Shrek 3DShrek 3D
Shrek 3D

Was a really good movie.
Olly, George, DanielOlly, George, Daniel
Olly, George, Daniel

Olly had a theory on catching girls being like a lion catching game in the parks.


Tot: 0.035s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0171s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb