It’s a goldmine – the Gold Museum of Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
April 20th 2010
Published: April 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Entering through security, we sign in and climb a narrow staircase to the first floor. With dark painted walls but brightly illuminated display cases, the history of gold and the African continent is told before we move on to the booty; heaps upon heaps of golden objects. Rings, hair combs, bracelets, earrings, dagger handles, staffs and figurines fashioned from gold and gold leaf used by tribes to indicate status and importance; so yellow and bright they don't look real. One case, housing two beautifully wrought shapes each as large as both my fists put together, causes my jaw to drop as I read that the objects are earrings, so heavy they require a head support. Who needs practical huh?

Based on these babies, I'm looking forward to the museum's crowning glory, the golden lion. Climbing to the next floor, I look eagerly around for the towering leonine statue.

Can't see anything.

Maybe it's in an alcove?

Nope, doesn't look like it.

Maybe we're on the wrong floor?

No there's definitely a sign. And actually a Perspex box thing over there. Hmmm really?

Peering in, I see the lion. Just. Underwhelmed doesn't even cover it. Sigh.

paradisepromised.wordpress.com


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0387s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb