Of whales and wines...


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
November 14th 2008
Published: November 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Whale off HermanusWhale off HermanusWhale off Hermanus

Southern Right Whales were right up against the rocks offshore. We probably saw about 10 different ones in an hour.
We are currently in Cape Town after a couple of wet days through Hermanus on the coast where we were able to see up to 10 Southern Right whales from the land in town with some of them only 50m off the rocks! It was amazing and even though the weather was appalling (wind and rain) we could see their spouts from over 1km away!! Hopefully some good photos to come. We saw one breaching about 4 times at a distance. We also got to see our first hyrax in the cliffs. We also saw a baboon troop on the road to hermanus just after Helen had exclaimed how much like Aussie it was with all the gumtrees. To me, having a few monkeys didn;t make it any less like Australia.
We then headed around the coast to Stellenbosch and arrived a bit late to do justice to all the vineyards but managed 2 excellent ones, Brauklippen and Grande Provence whcih is part owner of Huka Lodge in NZ. We had a cool dinner in Fransshoek which included helens beloved Guinea Fowl which are a bit like pukeko's (a dime a dozen, stupid and like to hang out on the roadside).

Anyway we are off to cruise the streets of CapeTown which is a really pretty city. Too windy to go up the cablecar to Table mountain unfortunately and we are too lazy to climb.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Baby Rock HyraxBaby Rock Hyrax
Baby Rock Hyrax

On top of Table Mountain


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb