Cape Town, South Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
October 29th 2007
Published: January 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cape Town, S.A.

KT and I had heard amazing reviews of Cape Town, so we were super excited when we landed. Our luggage wasn't as excited as us and failed to make the journey.(Ignor Cental Africa dot)

Table MountainTable MountainTable Mountain

Vantage point from Lion's Head peak.
After our exotic, fantastic trip through Egypt, we were excited to be able to navigate our way around a country on our own again. We scored immediately with an excellent pick for a hostel called The Sunflower Stop, in the heart of Cape Town. Everybody there treated us so well and gave us a ton of great ideas to explore this incredible diverse region. They also showed us where the nearest mall was so we could buy clothes and toiletries when none of our luggage made the trip from Cairo with us! Sweet!

We loved hiking around Table Mountain (not up it, we took the cable-car...lazy Americans!). The view from up top is one of the best ever! On Halloween, we joined the rest of the Sunflower for a traditional braai - much like a bbq in the states, but the accent is better. The night got a little interesting as pictures will attest, as we were all "over-served" by the bartender, Gaz. Luckily, KT and I snuck off before the entire group went out to Long Street @ 1:30am. Everybody looked a little scary the next morning.

After only a few days, we were off exploring the Garden
KTKTKT

Atop Table Mountain.
Route, in a rent-a-car, driving on the left side again (Missy and Lisa, we needed you here).


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Cable CarCable Car
Cable Car

This is the view riding the cable car down the mountain. So much easier than all that hiking!
Friends, or just posing?Friends, or just posing?
Friends, or just posing?

Notice the lizard on the left, wondering if the falcon has already eaten today...
KarlitoKarlito
Karlito

Why is this man tilting his head? Good question...
KT on Table MountainKT on Table Mountain
KT on Table Mountain

I'm telling you, she's tough to keep up with on a walk. Generally, this is how far behind I'd get before I had to start jogging.
Lion's Head PeakLion's Head Peak
Lion's Head Peak

Such a cool hike! More photos of this on our return from Garden Route.
Walking into Cape ProperWalking into Cape Proper
Walking into Cape Proper

Table Mountain is mesmerizing. The weather changes rapidly, making hiking dangerous. This may be guilty rationalization for taking the cable car.
Sunflower HostelSunflower Hostel
Sunflower Hostel

This is the first of three separate stays at our favorite hostel of the trip.
GM of SunflowerGM of Sunflower
GM of Sunflower

Angie, who was more than patient with our special room requests! This is the evening of the now infamous Halloween braai. Pain would soon follow.
Sunflower FriendsSunflower Friends
Sunflower Friends

Rodney and Cardi. Cardi gave us great ideas for things to do while in South Africa. Rodney cooked on this eve.
GazGaz
Gaz

This fellow was our bartender at S.F. Every guest was over-served including KF and KT. Especially KT.
Gaz IIGaz II
Gaz II

Is this not the bartender from hell?!
HalloweenHalloween
Halloween

2nd bartender on Hallow's Eve.
KF KTKF KT
KF KT

The smiles were less evident the next morning. Ouch.
Taxi story #2Taxi story #2
Taxi story #2

Our taxi driver tried to pretend he didn't hear us ask him to turn on his meter. When we said we wouldn't pay, he promtly dropped us off. A nice photo was taken during the awkward situation. We had to hitch a ride back to Sun Flower Stop. The End!
Merely CoincidenceMerely Coincidence
Merely Coincidence

This is not a political statement. I just happened to snap this and didn't notice the sign until later.
12 Apostles12 Apostles
12 Apostles

Going towards the Cape of Good Hope...
FloraFlora
Flora

We read somewhere that Table Mountain contained more flora and fauna than the entire United Kingdom. These rare daises dispensed cash, which we thought was pretty cool!
Cape HarborCape Harbor
Cape Harbor

This is just west of Green Point-where we stayed.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb