Namibia to Capetown


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
December 1st 2007
Published: December 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi guys
this is gonna be my last entry now. After an amazing ten weeks, nine countries, fifteenthousand kilometres through africa and sixty nights in a tent i have finally made it to Capetown.
After leaving Swakopmund, we headed for a camp site in the Namibian Desert, close to the famous dunefield where Dune 45 and Dune 17 are located (the number stands for their rank in size - Dune 17 would be the 17th biggest dune in the world). Tuesday was a driving day and very boring, but there was a promise of seeing the sunrise on Dune 45 the next morning. Unfortunately, we missed it. We took a wrong turn and had parked our truck in the middle of nowhere, looking at a very dull sunrise on a piece of nomansland. After asking around we found out that Dune 45 was about 20 kilometres the opposite direction, so we headed for it in the early hours of the morning, and with great effort i climbed the sanddune to the very top. It was a truly spectacular sight, looking over the endless dunefield from up there, and I can only say that half of my fellow travellers who were sleeping on the truck have missed out on one of the highlights of my trip. That night, we camped in the Namibian desert and reached Fish River Canyon early the next morning. Fish River Canyon is the second biggest canyon in the world, and it is hard to describe it any other than 'overwhelming' and 'totally impressive'. The river which has carved this huge canyon into the rock is nearly dry, but nevertheless the strangely shaped rock formations are one of Namibia's highlights ( am i advertising for Namibia there? Well, everybody, go to Namibia, it's great!!).
Early on Friday morning we crossed the boarder into South Africa. No more highlights from there on in, it was drive, drive, drive down to Capetown. The South African countryside is enjoyable enough though, with its green vineyards in between the rocky landscape, and endless seeming mountain passes with a great view into the valleys below.
And now I am here, at the last stop of my trip! Capetown! Our hostel is located at the foot of table mountain, and apparently it is known as a party mekka for backpackers. Great fun 😞, i had no idea there would be this much noise going on when i booked the place. Anyway, I'm trying not to spend too much time in my room and instead to enjoy my last days in this beautiful city. On Sunday, we took the cable car up table mountain and enjoyed the spectacular view over the city and the harbour. For some strange reason we had the idea to hike down, as it didn't look too bad and there was plenty of time and some good views to be expected along the way. Me, with a fresh toe injury, stumbling over rocks for nearly two hours, certainly wasn't one of my brighter ideas. I have been paying for this adventure for the following days, being hardly able to walk at all.
So on Monday I took it slow, and I went out to Boulders Bay near Simonstown to see the penguin colony. lt is an hour train ride, and quite a walk from Simonstown, but it was totally worth it. The penguins were surely one of the cutest animals i have seen on my trip, stumbling along the sandy beach, digging holes, flopping about and even mating. I had late lunch out there and went back to Capetown for an early night.
I spent Tuesday and Wednesday exploring the city, wandering down to the waterfront with its countless shops, hotels and restaurants, the green market and the District 6 museum. The museum is one of Capetowns highlights. It is vividly illustrating the destruction of a multicultural, colourful and vibrant part of Capetown due to the segregation laws put in place during apartheid. People of different colours lived together in harmony until the different races were resettled into the townships in the Cape Flats, all the buildings bulldozed and the district declared a white only zone. District 6 was never the same again afterwards, even though they were recently trying to rebuilt and resettle people.
And this is it from me once more! I am flying to Dublin tomorrow, wish me all a safe journey home, and hopefully i will see everyone soon.
Lots of love, K xxxx


Advertisement



5th December 2007

i like deserts, me.
5th December 2007

Amazing!!!
Hi Katja, you are nearly back home and I finally made it and read most of your blog entries. Late but not too late. It is really amazing! Thank you for sharing your experiences via this blog. Reading your stories is like participating in this trip. Hope to see you again soon, all the best, Corinna.

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb