Off to Kuwantu Game Reserve tomorrow!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Western Cape » Cape Town
November 20th 2006
Published: November 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Alright guys, this will be my last posting for awhile. Tomorrow Shona and I are getting up at the crack of dawn (before the crack actually... boooooo) to catch our bus to Port Elizabeth. Apparently we cant drive into the reserve at night so we're actually staying the night in PE and then into Kuwantu the next morning. And of course tonight we DANCE! :o)

Lima posted a comment remarking on the "homesickies" which i found quite hiliarious... i do wish they would just go home! I'm getting a little tired of all the b*tching and moaning... but at the same time, i try to be patient with them. I just cant relate i guess! I'm glad I left all you suckers behind!!! Just kidding of course :o)

I'm at the SASTS office right now because the internet is free for us but i forgot the cable for my camera so i cant put up any more pictures.

A couple of us got up early today to climb Table Mountain, but it was really cloudy and the cable car wasn't running and without the car it would take us an extra hour or 2 to walk back down and we didnt have that kind of time so, unfortunately, i didn't get to climb the mountain. I'm sad.... because I dont know if i'll be back to do it again....

Anyway! I guess not much has happened lately! The wine tour wasn't that great, only one stop because it was Sunday and no other ones were open. We also stopped in a botanical garden called Kirstenbosch, it was great. Scott, I got some great pictures for you with the sign cards with their family names and latin names and everything!

We were at the market earlier, and I picked up this really cool radio. It's like a wire frame, with some designs on it, and some coke can pannels, and a 9volt battery inside, it's really cool. And i also picked up a little day-pack thing. Something smaller and easier to work with than my backpack. I didn't like bartering with the people - i am NO GOOD at it! I paid 170 rand for the radio, which is about 25 bucks or so. She was asking R200.

Speaking of prices, here's some idea of the cost of things around here:
Beer (Castle Lager, Black Label, Windhoek - all very good!) = R10, about $1.50!
(Happy hour beer is only R6!)
Groceries i bought the other day (peanut butter, loaf of bread, carton of juice, can of Pringles!, and some fig newton bars) = R40, which is less than 10 bucks!
Cab from the lodge to the bar, about 6 blocks = R16, less than 3 bucks.
South African scenery = priceless :o)

In all i think i've spent less than 150 bucks on food, entertainment, and postcards/stamps/internet time, etc. Pretty crazy eh? Our bus to PE is R250, so a 9 hour bus ride is only $40!

Okay, there's a lineup starting for the use of this computer, i better go! I assure you that my next posting will include some pretty awesome pics :o)

Janine



Advertisement



20th November 2006

Sounds like you're having a great time so far! yeah. i don't get the homesick ones - why would they take a trip like this in the first place? Thanks for all the updates! Hopefully you'll be able to email as much on the reserve ... send us lots of pics of the animals (try not to kill any .. i forget the proper term for that. ... just tell them that you keep missing or something) it's crazy how cheap things are there ... and barter away - that's the fun part! have fun! Shelley
20th November 2006

Hey, Good luck on the reserve. Remember, lots of FLORA pics. And beware the fauna.

Tot: 0.154s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 73; dbt: 0.1132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb