Rhinos come out to play before the storm


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » North West » Zeerust » Madikwe Game Reserve
November 17th 2008
Published: December 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Clouds on the horizon promise a stormy afternoon game drive. It seems the rainy weather has followed us from Sabin Sands to Madikwe.

But, before the rain falls, we spot wildebeest and impala plus a herd of elephants in the distance. When the Land Rover turns a corner, two white rhino are standing close by. This is our first opportunity to see and photograph them up close.

The sky darkens with approaching storm clouds. The wind begins to blow; lightning crackles in the distance while rain pelts the vehicle. We vote to skip the sundowners.

Jaco continues to search for lions on the windy, wet drive back to the lodge. The inclement weather doesn’t bother him. Arriving at Madikwe Hills , the staff offers us a glass of brown sherry. Then, we hurry to change clothes before returning to the main building for dinner. Tonight, each ranger hosts the table for his Land Rover passengers. Over a meal that includes choices of lamb, emu or kingflip (fish), we listen to more of Jaco’s stories about the African bush .




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



8th April 2009

That bird
is a yellow billed hornbill

Tot: 0.421s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 23; qc: 145; dbt: 0.1839s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb