A lioness stalks tonight


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » North West » Zeerust » Madikwe Game Reserve
November 16th 2008
Published: November 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

At Skukuza airport, Alan and I catch a small plane for the flight to Federal Air Terminal in Johannesburg where we switch to an even smaller plane for the trip to Madikwe. Our path diverts from stormy weather before circling the dirt landing strip as a giraffe pops her long neck above the trees to check out the new arrivals.

We see zebra, kudu and impala roaming the flat valley on the drive to Madikwe Hills Where’s a camera when we need one?

The lodge is built into the side of a hill among a series of boulders. Alan and I are greeted with a refreshing glass of limewater, then we’re taken to #6, our home for the next three nights.

The living area houses a sofa, bar and fireplace. Mosquito netting surrounds the bed, which has a view of the plunge pool. A concrete staircase leads to the bath, which is set among rock boulders. Outside a claw foot tub plus outdoor shower offer bathing with a view.

Due to the bad weather, we’ve arrived late. Since the afternoon game drive starts in about 10 minutes, Alan and I walk to the main building where we’re greeted by our group of friends from Brown and Keene Travel.

Soon, we’re riding with Cindy and David as ranger, Jaco, and tracker, Simon, seek out the animals . First sighting is a troop of baboons. Then, we find a young lioness stalking a wildebeest. She moves from shrub to shrub hiding from the clueless animal. Slinking through the grass, she crouches ready to pounce. A jackal waits close by hoping for an afternoon snack. But, the lioness never makes her move preferring to practice stalking instead.

At sundowners, we sip wine instead of champagne as the African sky rewards us with a fiery red sunset. Dinner is served at two long dining tables in a dining room set with crystal and china. After a long day of traveling, Alan and I barely keep our eyes open through the meal. Then, it’s back to villa #6 to sleep enclosed in mosquito netting. The 4:30 am wake up call will be here before we know it.




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



28th November 2008

tub with a view
Imagine relaxing in that tub at sunset, glass of wine in hand. (That's probably what you'll have done when you read this). A

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb