Feels like the trip is coming to an end


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Mpumalanga » Sabi Sands
October 24th 2010
Published: October 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

It's strange how flippant you get about what you see here. We now take no notice of Impala, Waterbuck and Elephant. I'm even getting used to seeing buffalo and Lion. The Big 5 have been ever present, but not there on a plate for you, we've had to work hard to find them.

The last couple of days have brought more lion sightings. Great one today of 2 females sitting in the shade. We had a slow puncture at the time so there was still an element of danger!! We chased across the plains last night to reach a herd of 150 buffalo drinking from a lake. We then drove amongst them and watched them come towards us with the sun setting behind. You couldn't have staged anything so good. We were in the only vehicle that didn't just sit on the side lines and watch. Greg is the best, and a little bit crazy I think!

I got bitten last night by something called an Assassin Bug. It wasn't pleasant. They bite with their beak and I can reassure you it hurt!

We feel like we've been here for ever now, and have got to know the wonderful staff. You really get to know them, and the other guests as it feels that you're just having one big house party. It doesn't feel like a hotel, or at all commercialised. There are a maximum of 22 guests in Safari Lodge, and it's not been full at all while we've been here, so we've had the chance to chat to everyone. We're missing the guys that we spent the first few days with as we just had such good fun together that no one else has come close.

Two sleeps and 4 drives to go. I can almost feel the coldness of Heathrow. I think on the plane home we'll be planning how to fund the next visit. I'm sure Trev has a kidney he doesn't need!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb