Thanda tented camp and few golf rounds around Durban...


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal
August 27th 2021
Published: September 6th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Here we are, a cute little week of staycation in our own province of KZN. The province being pretty huge, the drive to Thanda Tented Camp is a 400kms North. International tourists have for most deserted South Africa. So all the top attractions have had to over super discounts to the locals to simply keep going. So this week, we are experiencing a top safari camp, at a 60% discount...topped with a complimentary upgrade to the "honeymoon tent". Not sure those discounts will continue for many more months, so we are packing what we can of those for as long as we can...and more is to come soon!



Thanda is a private reserve north of Hluhluwe National Park. We have self-drived on numerous occasions into Hluhluwe. But this is the first time we'll experience together a more luxurious approach to safari in our own province. So here we are for 48 hours of fun. Bear in mind, this is still winter here..morning and late evening are super fresh, while the middle of the day is balmy between 20 and 23 degrees.



We arrived just before lunch and did a 3.5 hours safari drive the first afternoon. Next day was 7 hours drive in the early morning and late afternoon. Last morning was another 3.5 hours drive before enjoying a late breakfast and a ride for some golf. So that's 14 hours to ride the 140 square kms of Thanda. And animal encounters...we had many to enjoy! We saw cheetahs twice, and we had 3 different encounters with the male lions. The bonus here is the ranger is not limited to stay on tracks. The place is open to explore and literally track the big cats. 140sq kms...and only 2 safari cars doing saw during our stay, that's solid nice and private!



Beside the lions and amazing cheetahs, we had white rhinos, elephants, buffalos, giraffes...and you know the rangers have now mainly local visitors...when we don't even stop anymore for zebras or multiple bucks. A blast of a safari we had with people living less than 150kms from our place!



Thanda as a main lodge....solid more expensive, as well as our tented camp. We never saw the main lodge or anybody actually staying there while on safari, so I won't be able to comment on this. Our more "budget" option is actually perfect for us. The "tent" has only the name of a tent...king luxurious bed, double bath, outside jacuzzi. Well, forget about anything outside, it's a little too cold even for a dip into the camp nice pool.



In the package was all the food plus decent wine, here too, nothing to complain. From experience, they are not cutting anything here. Making me say that at full time, those places are not specially the best deal when it comes to wine and food.



Next, we went for 3 nights in Durban. This is only 90 minutes drive from home, but a great change a scenery for us. Finally some choice when it comes to restaurants...even if I have to admit, I prefer to cook myself the amazing raw produces we find in our local supermarkets. We did enjoy some solid shopping as well as playing golf on top courses around Durban.



Next entry coming end of this month, for something very special in South Africa too! On my side, a little trip to Congo very soon...it's time to work, see friends and play more golf!


Additional photos below
Photos: 73, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0364s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb