WakaWakaEhhh Eh!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
July 8th 2010
Published: July 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

That’s about where I start my explanation of last night. Wow, holly cow, amazing! What a night, what an experience!!!! I will remember last night until I am old and senile.

It started out a grey day so Bri and I hit of the shops for a bit and then she headed out to do a bit of work whilst I finished writing the blogs. A work friend of hers, Leah, showed up from Joburg for the game and we got all dressed in red a gold and organized a ride down to the game. We got dropped off by the owners of Bri’s guest house and started the long walk into the stadium. Along the way we saw all sorts of interesting and strange people, German and Spanish fans alike, with a few BafanaBafana fans thrown in for good measure. I got my first sight of the stadium at night, all lit up and ready to host the biggest show in Durban in years!

It’s a beautiful stadium and the closer we got the more beautiful it became. As we walked around the concourse to find out seat entrances, each causeway to the centre beckoned with lights and music and the shouts of hundreds of fans.

We found our seats and immediately started smack talking with German fans (we were supporting Spain and dressed as such). It was so much fun and everyone was in such amazing mood. The atmosphere was totally infectious and intoxicating as the stadium filled with thousands of excited locals and visitors. As soon as the teams hit the field for warm-ups the crowd went wiled, vuvuzala’s and all. The notorious South African vuvuzala horn was no where near as bad in the stadium as it sounded like on tv, and it really just blended into the overall excitement. Except for if it was being blown right behind you of course, and then you had to cringe and look away until it was over.

The game started Bri and I still couldn’t believe that we were at this game. The game itself was amazing and Spain dominated play for the entire game, as expected. When they finally scored, the only goal and winning goal of the game, the stadium exploded and the massive stand of Spanish fans next to us didn’t sit down for the rest of the night. The highlights of the watching the game live were: the entertainment factor of watching the press move in big waves back and forth, actually getting to see the fan streak onto the field and get within 2 meters of David Villa, and being able to watch the Spanish alternates warm up, including Torres, right in front of us!

As you all know, or should know, Spain won 1-0 and our German friends were some of the saddest looking people I’ve ever seen. The Spanish fans however kept partying inside the stadium until way past the exodus of the main crowd, so Bri, Michelle, Leah and I headed into the surging, singing, dancing Spanish crown. We danced and sang and did interviews for Spanish TV (awesome) and then finally left the stadium an hour after the game ended.

We walked down the Florida Road where all the other fans had headed earlier and proceeded to have an amazing night of cheering and dancing in Durban.

So that is where I leave you for now. Enjoy the photo’s!

Xoxo
S

p.s. I've just added lots of photo's to the other blogs from this trip, sorry it took so long!


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

The Spanish throngs!The Spanish throngs!
The Spanish throngs!

I don't think they sat down the whole game!


8th July 2010

So excited for you!!
Hi Sarah, I'm so excited for you!! How fortunate that you got yourself over to South Africa to experience the World Cup. I wish I was there to watch the Spain vs. Germany game with ya. I would have been cheering for Germany though. They didn't play agressive enough to win, c'est la vie!! I know you are having a great time and wish you lots of good times! Take care, Bridget

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb