Expedition Wildcoast


Advertisement
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
August 25th 2007
Published: November 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I copied the tidal-charts for the coming month, made a list of all the rivers we would encounter and stocked up on lightweight food and fresh water. Our plan; to cycle the Wildcoast along its coastline, appeared quite straight forward we thought as we studied maps and read up on Xhosa-clans and their traditions. My list of rivers numbered 42, of which 20 were blind, one had a bridge and yet anoth... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Riding the wreckcoastRiding the wreckcoast
Riding the wreckcoast

On my way down the sandy tracks leading down to the Jacaranda. A wreck from 1971 and a popular picnic-spot for 4wd-Afrikaner.
Hairpin climbHairpin climb
Hairpin climb

AFter crossing the shark-infested Mbashe with the help of small boys in a murky old boat, we had a wonderful climb ahead of us before reaching the Haven inside the Dwesa reserve.
The WildcoastThe Wildcoast
The Wildcoast

The coastline at Nqakanqa.
Up the KobonqabaUp the Kobonqaba
Up the Kobonqaba

Looking back towards Cherry's point, Mound Point and Manyana. In other words, looking back at a full days hard cycling.
Chicken runChicken run
Chicken run

From the back of a bakkie there was full commerce. I joined the elders of Nqileni to their monthly "pension day", when a military vehicle, parked on one of the rolling hills around Mbiza, guarded by armed guards, handed out the miniscule pension promised by the government. Of course a one day market quickly appeared around the spot and all the elders could blow their money on chicken and paap.
Walking salesmenWalking salesmen
Walking salesmen

Selling the same kind of Chinese crap as his six friends, who all came to profit from the Pension day. He didn't seem to bother much about getting his plastics sold, and chatted away with me over a roadside brunch instead.
Tea estates of PondolandTea estates of Pondoland
Tea estates of Pondoland

Australian mining companies want to access the Pondoland coast of northern Wildcoast region for mining. That's about as ethical, and environmentally bright as setting up a quarry on Ayer's rock.
Putting the WILD into the coastPutting the WILD into the coast
Putting the WILD into the coast

Sharp and hard rocks. Just what any long-distance cyclist is looking for. The coast line at Ku-Rebu, south of Npande.
Typical Xhosa hutsTypical Xhosa huts
Typical Xhosa huts

The mintgreen olour was favoured among the Xhosa. More than 50% of all the painted mudhuts throughout the Wildcoast are decorated in that colour. Other favourites are: Baby blue, Cream white, and Pig pink.
Some last boulders to jump before dinnerSome last boulders to jump before dinner
Some last boulders to jump before dinner

Everyday life along the coastline.
Chintsa lagoonChintsa lagoon
Chintsa lagoon

The southern part of the Wildcoast boast great beauty, unluckily I lost all the photos from this region when I took my camera swimming in the Gonubie River...
The beachThe beach
The beach

One of the innumerable picture-perfect beaches we had to cross.
Keep it KEIKeep it KEI
Keep it KEI

At the Kei River, estimating our chances of crossing the river without using the car-ferry. Our estimated possibility was nil! The river Kei separates the Ciskei from the Transkei, which was the old name of the Wildcoast region. Most people consider the Wildcoast starting north of the river Kei, but we had difficulties already north of East London, so for me pretty much the whole region qualifies as bloody wild.
EnsnarledEnsnarled
Ensnarled

Following my "great" intuition once again, taking us into another cul-de-sac of vines and banana leafs.
Striped horses and brown zebrasStriped horses and brown zebras
Striped horses and brown zebras

Cousins at the Dwesa reserve. We camped at their grazing ground.
Fast forwardFast forward
Fast forward

Lightning Aili Asberg on her nike "Miranda Love-bomb" heading for the next big hill at the speed of Cheeba.
Bridging the gapBridging the gap
Bridging the gap

tired but happy, still in the early stage of the journey somewhere around Audi.
A quick biteA quick bite
A quick bite

The local fishermen sit frying molluscs on open fires at the river mouths, eating anything that's been inside a shell, and smilingly offering any bystander to join them in their meal.
Ho! Ho! HO! Junglebells from Bulungula.Ho! Ho! HO! Junglebells from Bulungula.
Ho! Ho! HO! Junglebells from Bulungula.

Black Santa had traded his Arctic reindeers for Transkei-donkeys and had shaved of his ubiquitous beard because of the hot African sun and the predicament of eating millie-paap without getting messy...



18th November 2007

Rusty-Rides
After that journey you'll certainly need something to bring your serenity back. And I happend to know exactly what that might be: - GingerSnaps with a good deal of Gorgonzola. You know what I'm talking about. I'm snapping on one at this very moment. Actually I'm trying to make you envy, so you'll be home in time of the holy "Sathi-Lassi" festival in Mörrum. You might still make it... Take Care, both of you... Love sis
20th November 2007

transkei love
hello you two lovley earth wanderers, all those who wander are not lost! it looks like the biking is difficult at times, but man it looks exciting. i'm jelous. it's starting to get f-ing cold here in nebraska, snow and it's friend chilly wind. all is well here, playing music with my friends band 'somasphere' and it's going really well, dirty electronic music, lots of bass, hahaha. no special lady friends just lonely nights:( but who knows what tomorrow will bring for this american sugar daddy! wanted to say hi to both of you. much love and respect.
21st November 2007

Spell check
That must have been some spell checker you used for the blog, Bobbie...good luck with Tanzania, and great bumping into you!
8th December 2009

address of member
please give me email of negin iranian girl who put her comment on 21 July 2009. am planning to iran next year on you can give her mine.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0318s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb