The trip to Durban


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » KwaZulu-Natal » Durban
August 6th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so i think the blog is up and running again... i guess we'll see...
I think i am still missing the blog entry of my lat day in Chintsa, so here again is the short version: I went on a mountain bike ride with two of my roommates from Bucaneers and our guide through the Xhosa villages that are in this area. We visited Mama Tofus village, got a taste of Xhosa culture, signing and dancing, and mingled with the kids of the village, before we continued our bike ride through the rather hilly area around Chintsa. An awesome time, and great experience in the village. The Xhosa people are super nice and very traditional in their beliefs, and we really got the impression that this was not just put on for the 'tourists" but that they were really quite happy to have us show an interest in the way of life of the people who have lived in this area for such a long time.
Well, after the all day ride, it was only fitting that a Xhosa dinner was on the menu at the hostel, so we were able to get the full visual, and cullinary experience.
In the morning it was then time to say good bye to the great people at Bucs... so sad... a place i will most certainly come back to if the travels will take me back to SA some day... but onwards it was... more places to see...
I arrived in Durban late last night, after 10 hours on the Baz Bus, travelling from Chintsa via the Wild Coast, Transkaii and eventually into Zululand. The drive was, although long, so interesting and scenic. We saw desert, and desolate villages and towns in Transkaii, actually drove past Nelson Mandela's house and home village, and then made our way back to the much greener and mountaineous ocean region on our way to Durban. The roads were so curvy and at times extremely narrow, plus we constantly had to dodge cattle, sheep, goats and lots of people who walk along the "main" roads to get to their villages or places of work. Really super interesting.
Anyhow, today i had some time to explore Durban, and went to the Victoria Market where the huge Indian Population of Durban sells spicies and al sorts of goods, and where the Native healers sell their potients, herbs, roots, skins, and all sorts of other goods. An assault on the senses for sure... again, just fazinating. After the market, it was onwards to a museum that displays arts and crafts of the many tribes of the area, and is housed in the Campbell family Estate... and old scottish family who traded in sugar and who had an amazing relationship with the locals, and therefore were able to preserve so much for the tribes in their house, which is now run as a museum by the local university.
after the Museum, we headed around town a bit, along the beaches and then drove to the townships where our local guide showed us around on a walking tour and where we had lunch in one of the shops... really good... then on towards the Indian part of town to visit the Hare Krishna temple and then return to the Happy Hippo (hostel) via the town center. all in all a full and interesting day. There is just so much to learn..

well, since i am down to 2 min. i better finish this blog up... pictures hopefully will be forthcoming. off to the Drakensberg Mountains tomorrow.

cheers everyone



Advertisement



Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 13; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0742s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb