Southern Africa


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng
January 15th 2014
Published: January 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Southern Africa 2014

* SOWETO 15TH TO 20TH FEBRUARY* VOLUNTEERING AT KEVIN RICHARDSON'S WILDLIFE RESERVE (THE KINGDOM OF THE WHITE LION) 20TH JANUARY TO 3RD FEBRUARY* OVERLAND FROM VICTORIA FALLS TO CAPE TOWN 4TH-25TH FEBRUARY (see itinerary below)* CAPE TOWN 25TH-27TH FEBRUARYOVERLAND ITINERARYDay 1 to 2: Victoria FallsVictoria Falls is a town on the Zimbabwean side of the falls, with spectacular views and a reputation as the adventure capital of Zimbabwe.Day 3 to 4: Chobe National ParkWith a diverse range of ecosystems, a humungous number of elephants and the largest concentration of game found in Africa, Chobe National Park is safari heaven.Day 5: BaganiSitting on the banks of the Okavango River, Bagani is a Namibian border town with plenty of river-based activities to enjoy.Day 6 to 7: Okavango DeltaFull of animals, islands and unforgettable scenery, the Okavango Delta is the world's largest inland delta and is best explored by mokoro (dugout canoe).Day 8 to 9: BaganiBagani is a small, friendly town with some good hiking trails along the river and plenty of places to just relax. Located across the river from Angola, Rundu is a medium-sized town that is well-known for its wood carving and lively open market.Day 10: GrootfonteinA big farming community famed for its proximity to the Hoba Meteorite, Grootfontein is a lovely town with shady streets and a number of historic buildings.Day 11 to 12: Etosha National ParkWith excellent game viewing and stunning landscapes, Etosha National Park was established in 1907 and is home to hundreds of animal, reptile and bird species.Day 13: SpitzkoppeWith its 700 million-year-old granite peaks, prehistoric rock art and dramatic vistas, Spitzkoppe is another of Namibia's wondrous landscapes.Day 14 to 16: SwakopmundSwakopmund sits on Namibia's Atlantic Coast, virtually surrounded by the Namib Desert, and has beautiful colonial architecture and a large array of adventure sports on offer.Day 17 to 18: SesriemWith the Sesriem Canyon close by and the incredible Sossusvlei sand dunes at its doorstep, tiny Sesriem serves as a gateway to these Namibian wonders. One of the oldest settlements in Namibia, the small town of Bethanie was founded by the London Missionary Society, who failed to influence the locals with their church.Day 19: Fish River CanyonA truly spectacular sight to behold, especially at sunset, Fish River Canyon's orange-pink hues and momentous size are awe-inspiring.Day 20 to 21: CitrusdalLocated on the north bank of the Orange River near the South African border, Noordoewer is a great place to see by canoe. Teeming with hot springs and a great place to camp and hike, Citrusdal is a sweet town set amongst the beautiful scenery of South Africa's Western Cape.Day 22: Cape TownDominated by spectacular Table Mountain, Cape Town is a city that keeps on giving with its beautiful coastlines, world-class cuisine, excellent wineries and beautiful architecture. Including Robben Island.

This is basically a practice run in using this blog site. I've had the dream of going to Africa since the mid 80s. I studied African anthropology at the University of London's School of Oriental and African Studies and went to talks given by a member of the ANC. It was the time of apartheid, and we Australians were suitably horrified, without necessarily looking at what we were doing in our own country, a form of informal apartheid. I started reading everything I could find about Africa- travel books, histories, books about South African and African politics. We went out dancing to all hours in African clubs around London. Oh the music! It's been my favourite ever since. Hundreds of African dance workshops later, my torso refuses to act like it has that extra hinge.

My lovely English ex-partner started calling me Kimba…and would quite regularly (and at very odd moments) break out into the theme song for "Kimba the White Lion" or suddenly say (in the Kimba voice) "Why can't you animals just be nice to each other, and look after the jungle". It certainly made me take a break from ranting about some injustice or other, and gave me a big smile.

So it's time to resurrect my "inner Kimba"- not that he was ever very far under the surface.

I found out after I'd booked my two weeks volunteering for Kevin Richardson's wildlife reserve that the area is called "The Kingdom of the White Lion". And so it begins!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 47; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb