Perth, Freo and so much more


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
November 3rd 2012
Published: November 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Been a busy week and no Wifi access so bit of a gap in our blogging. We finally escaped from the good ship Radiance of the Seas to a warm, sunny Freemantle but with quite a few flies so not too keen on that. Scarborough Beach was our base for 3 nights - right on the beach where we could watch the surfers, kitesurfers and body boarders. Our first tour guides, Stuart and Katherine (Ann's niece and husband) took us to Houghtons Winery for our first stop for winetasting and a picnic which was nearly a non-event as a thunderstorm rolled in with cats and dogs rain. But our good luck with the weather continued and the storm passed over, the sun came out so the picnic basket was unpacked and the wine uncorked. Next stop was a tour of downtown Perth with Kings Park providing a brilliant viewing point. Much use was then made of the apartment's washing machine, tumble drier and clothes airer on the balcony. Monday's tour guides were Liz and Paul who gave us a fabulous day visiting Hillary's which had a lovely marina and shops (think Port Solent but with sunshine, without any freeezing wind whistling round you). We then went to Yanchup National Park and saw koalas then the cemetery (don't ask) to see kangaroos. Next day was Freo which is quite an old fashioned sort of place we all liked better than Perth. Souvenir shopping, Shipwreck Museum, hair cut for Marge and fish and chips at Fishing harbour and that was Freo done! Last day was a visit to another Apple store to find out that there is a new ipad out on Friday so fourth Apple store visited and still no purchase! Perth is a funny place with Ann likening the main street to Kilmarnock and Margaret the airport to Prestwick 15 years ago! And so to South Africa where we have been staying in Parkhurst, a sub of Jo'burg with the 4th member of our Dumfer set - Jimmi and her lovely husband Alfie. They have a very hectic schedule for our stay in SA. Already we have walked round Delta park for a view of the Jo'burg skyline; enjoyed a beautiful authentic African lunch complete with handwashing ceremony; visited Walter Susula Park which boasts 226 species of birds - we saw black eagles, red bishops, weavers, cockatoos - all brightly coloured (other than the black eagle of course). Driving here means running the gauntlet of people selling everything from turf to sunglasses - they stand in the middle of the road as you come up to traffic lights or junctions. Security is ever present with gated houses, notices about razor wire and armed responses. But such a beautiful place with parks, golfcourses and of course blue sky and sunshine. Today is braaivleis day which is Afrikaans for bbq - just think all you people reading this at home, today we shall be sitting out with that lovely bbq smell wafting around as we sip chilled bubbly and rose wine in 28 degrees! Cape Town tomorrow with the promise of good weather for the Table Top Mountain view. Also promise of fast internet and wifi so will post photos of last few days as here in Jo'burg it is painfully slow.

Advertisement



3rd November 2012

In to Africa
am exhausted just reading your latest blog! Yes, I am thinking of BBQ as I sit inside on a dreary November afternoon - too cold and wet to venture out. look forward to photos j

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0378s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb