the middle of the road


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
December 12th 2011
Published: December 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The accomodation in mondeor is great. There is a great variety of places to lounge, the pool is a pool and the bedroom is bright and large. I am living with Andrew, the owners daughter Gemma and a student from victoria who is also Andrew. We make a good little group. Last night we sat drinking wine and talking until it was about 6am australia time and i began to fall asleep in my rocking chair. Wine tastes better without so much tax in it.



Thismorning we headed up the highway over the city to Johanesburg hospital and the medical school therein. Dawn Francis, the lady organising the elective was full of good advice and generaly lovely and talkative. I had to pay for some university fees I thaught mum and dad had paid for and received an unexpected loss of about $700. But i did get a nice set of scrubs to maybie that makes it ok.



After getting IDs and signing forms we headed back down to Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, went through the security gates, repleate with tire spikes, and found somewhere hot to park. Ayap who drove us in his car then locked his door with the keys still in the ignition.

Afraid the some locals would try to break into his car he asked some locals to help him break into his car and he was soon out of that pickle.



We went strait past the trauma unit and started across the bridge to soweto. A lady working at the hospital stopped us and said, "where are you meaning to go? there is only the bridge to soweto that way." And from that point i new we were headed in the correct direction. Just across the road we found a hole in the wall where a nice lady who i could not understand and who could not understand me served us some lunch. Lots of lunch.

We finished the day with a stroll down the road and which ended up with us alone on a hill about 10m from a pack of wild zebras.



Goodnight

Tired Jim

Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb