WC Final Days


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
July 11th 2010
Published: October 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Final day with Hawkins, the van must be returned. So an early start from the Kruger camp site, leave at 6:30 when the gate opens. We detour through Blyde Canyon and stop for a few scenic panoramas. It's still a long winding drive to Joburg so we have to press on, Hawkins gets pulled over for speeding but once again we are let off with a warning. After cleaning the van for a couple of hours, we get into Jozi at 5pm which is handy as it's getting dark and the newly chipped crater in the windscreen cannot be seen. We part ways, I go off to a hostel I have already booked, Hawkins goes off to meet the Aussie boys as he's forgotten to book anything!
Accoustix hostel is quite lively but awful facilities. The showers are separated by glass dividers and the door to the room opens into the men's toilets so it's not the most private experience... Also the owner is a bit if a ladies man so I have to keep my wits about me to fend him off numerous times. Unfortunately for me, most people in the hostel have tickets to the final, so I am left to find other friends in the fan fest. A minibus taxi to the city centre is only 7 rand, bargain on the extortionate taxi fares, I am the only white person of course. Most white SAs support Holland as they claim ancestry, therefore most black SAs support Spain. I am wearing my orange, roaring lion t-shirt in a sea of red shirts! The closing ceremony is amazing, even on the big screen and not live. Ending result is disappointing though. The Dutch Canadian and I got back to the minibus taxi depot to get one home but find it deserted. Not good. We wonder what to do for a bit when a local comes up and asks us what we're doing. He tells us off and says we can't stand around as we'll get killed!! He tries to find us a standard taxi but they are very expensive, so he has a plan. We get a minibus taxi to his flat, he then calls his girlf and she gets out of bed and drives to his to then drive us home, amazing generosity!!! Slight problem that she has no idea where that part of town is, so after many phone calls and texts someone directs us, hilarious. We give her a few rand for petrol and everyone's happy. What a great end to 5 weeks in South Africa!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb