Ice Skating in South Africa!


Advertisement
South Africa's flag
Africa » South Africa » Gauteng » Johannesburg
September 20th 2007
Published: September 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Yes you did read that right, we went Ice skating in Africa!! How wierd. Theres a proper size ice rink in the mall that we went to today, it was awesome! Then we had lunch and came back, nothing too exciting.
Ok update, on Monday afternoon we went on a tour of Jo'Burg and Soweto (which comes from the first two letters in each word of South Western Township - get me!). That was brilliant, although for some reason the guide took us to the 'museum of man and science', which is actually just a herbal remedy shop covered in dead animals.There was even a monkey stuck on the wall which had literally been ripped open so his ribcage was sticking out, ugh. We named him George. We got taken through the very poor red light district where we weren't allowed to take photos in case we accidentally snapped a drug dealer, which apparently happens more than you'd think. Then onto Soweto, through some very posh parts with houses built like castles, then cross the road to see the poor area which only has one tap outside per 10 or so houses. Although to make it slightly better, they had marijuana growing right outside some of their houses, we could literally have stopped the mini bus and picked some! Why we didn't I'm not too sure hmmm...
So anyway, whilst down one of these streets out driver, AB, decided to stop and ask two women if we could possibly take a look inside their house. They agreed so we all got off, and everyone went inside except me and Beth as we were covered in small children before we'd even set foot on the ground!! They are so unbelievably cute, they were all fighting over who got to hold our hands, climbing all over us and i ended up sitting down with a little boy on my lap and a few others playing with my hair (which is apparently very soft). They all took a fancy to my camera too, so I have alot of pictures of them all which Ill add on ASAP. All too soon we had to board the bus again, onto Nelson Mandela's house which is now the Mandela family museum, That was very interesting, they even have three pairs of his shoes! Off again, this time to the Soweto museum. This was a very emotional place, as it had all the details of the student revolt against Afrikaans, including stories of young children getting killed by the police.
That concluded out tour, and we were knackered, Beth even fell asleep on the ride back! However we stayed up talking to a couple of guys from the hostel before admitting defeat.
Tuesday we sunbathed for the majority of the day, before going out in the evening to this complex that Rob (the hostel owner) had said was good. The plan was to find a club and boogie-however this was not to be. The moment we walked in we spied a huge indoor rollercoaster, squealed alot about it then ran off to find out how to get on. It was awesome! twists and turns around the entire plaza, and it went round twice, cant really get much better! Then bumper cars, and finally the magic carpet ride which just went on and on and on......
We decided it was time for a drink so we wandered for a bit and stumbled onto the biggest casino ever!! Well maybe not, but it looked like a place straight from vegas. Settled at the bar, ordered drinks (water for me), and I started feeling pretty queasy. We put this down to not having much to eat, so off we went to probably the poshest Wimpy I have ever seen. I could only manage a few chips and was feeling even worse by this point. So we grabbed a cab back to the hostel, where I went directly to bed. Fell asleep only to wake up a few hours later and throw up all over the side of my bed, yuck. Obviously then had to clean up before going back to sleep. Luckily felt better yesterday if still a bit sensitive, so we put off our trip to Kruger till Friday. We couldnt decide if it was the malaria tablet, too much sun, or the water here, but a girl who arrived today said she threw up on the same tablet as me too so I guess it must be that.
However, our tour for tomorrow has been cancelled due to us being the only ones booked onto it, so we are now going on Saturday instead.
Well I think I've written enough now : s new blog and hopefully pics will be up next week xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb